Ch•3- Overly Calm

I stood in front of the mirror on my dresser, staring down at the old letter. I had on my thigh length, sparkling black dress. The chest and back were made of lace, and around the sides of my torso was also more lace. The rest was pitch black, and I added pink heels and lipstick for a pinch of color. My hair was in its normal curly style, with a small little bun added loosely on the back of my head. Pepper had total control of my outfit tonight.

        I didn't feel like dressing up for a party that I didn't care about. Parties just aren't my thing anymore. They never really were to begin with. At least my avenger friends would be there for the entirety of it.

       For the millionth time, I was reading the letter that my Mom wrote to me. She knew at some point that she was going to die. I mean, we all are, but it's like she knew when and where. Being a SHIELD Agent, you just know those things I guess. The note was old, the edges were ripped, and the paper was a faded brown color. I read over every word one more time. They were the same sentences no matter how many times I read them.

       I sighed and stuck her letter back in the shoe box and sealed it up tight before setting it back in my closet. I checked myself one more time in the mirror and removed my glasses so I didn't look like a nerd before emerging from my room. The multicolored lights and loud music hit me like a wave on rocks.

       I immediately thought of Dad's party all those years ago, you know, when he fought Rhodey suit to suit? Yea, that's the one.
I walked down the ghostly hallway. Everyone was downstairs or on the other side of the second floor near the staircase. I let my hand run over the railing.

      As I got closer to people, they noticed me and greeted me kindly. I've never met half of these people, all of them are friends of my friends. I snaked my way though a small crowd and made it to the top of the stairs.

      I scanned my eyes over the scene, spotting Nat and Rhodey talking together on the couch. Oh cool! I didn't know that Rhodey would be here. Near the bar stood Doctor Banner and Doctor Cho. Thor was with Clint by the fire pit. Steve was shooting pool with his friend Sam Wilson who I've met before. Nobody here was my age, as usual.

       "You sure clean up nice kid" Dad appeared next to me on the walkway, a sparkling drink rested in his hand. He leaned against the railing "No 'save the Manatee' t-shirt?"

"Unfortunately, it's in the wash, next time though" I told him.

      "Yea not happening" he shook his head and started to descend down the sleek staircase. I followed after him, walking carefully to make sure that I didn't slip because of the pink heels on my feet "you okay, kid?" Dad asked, sounding the tiniest bit worried. He turned to look at me at the bottom of the step "you're not your usual... you know, self"

        "I'm fine" I smiled, looking down to my feet "it's just... everything is so calm. We have the scepter secure, we're at a party, there are some psycho twins out there but it's hardly a problem. Everything is good, and it feels weird"

      "You know what's weird?" Dad asked "You! Lighten up Jessi" I rolled my eyes at him, giving a small smile.

"Funny Dad. You're right, it's party, I've got all my friends. You're right"

      "Awesome" Dad slung his arm over my shoulder and we walked over to Thor, Rhodey and Maria. They were all chatting and laughing together. Dad and I entered right in the middle of Rhodey's story.

      "-But, you know, the suit can take the weight, right? So I take the tank, fly it right up to the general's palace, drop it at his feet. I'm, like, "Boom. You looking for this?"." It didn't get a good laugh so Rhodey repeated the punch line "Boom. Are you looking for... Why do I even talk to you guys? Everywhere else, that story kills!"