Chapter 37

Ben
May 21, 2005

*

Same day

*

I look up to see Samantha sitting in the back seat of my Bentley wearing a low cut dress that I probably would have found attractive before. 

Before she cheated on me.
Before she shattered me.
Before I met Kat.
Before I realized what true beauty was.

Kat could wear a garbage bag and I would still find her sexy.  Her beauty radiates from the inside out.

I turn to glare at the nuisance behind me. "Get out of my fucking car." 

What is she doing here?

"Oh..."  She pouts.  Did she always look that ridiculous?  Was I really that blind?  "I don't think you really mean that."

"Pretty sure I do."  Why is she here?  What does she want?

"I think you're forgetting one very important thing, Benny."  She leans forward, practically sitting next to me.

"And what the fuck would that be?"  I don't even want to look at her ugly face or fake boobs. 

I can't decide which is worse sitting here with her or being at the graduation watching that preppy boy touch Kat.

"I own you."  She's wearing a twisted smile that I've never seen on her before.  She looks like a psycho.

"What the fuck?" This bitch is crazy. 

"Unless you want me to tell everyone where you are, you will do exactly what I say."  She better be joking.

"You think I'm scared of you?"  I could snap her like a twig, if I wanted to.  Not that I want to.

Nope. Not at all.

"I think you're scared of losing your perfect little life here."  She raises an eyebrow, only making her look more like a villain from a Batman movie.  "You know, the one where you pretend you're normal, but we both know that's a lie."

"What do you want?"  I sigh.  Let's just get this over with.  "Money?"

"Oh, please, like I would ever make it that easy."  Oh shit, this can't be good.

"I want to break you."  Did I hear her right? 

"And how exactly are you going to do that?"  She's completely lost her mind.

"You are going to break that stupid girl's heart."  What kind of drugs is she on?

"What the fuck?"  I'm not doing anything to Kat. "No fucking way."

"Oh come on, she was the one dumb enough to fall in love with you."  She's not wrong there, I'm a complete fuck up.

Wait... Kat loves me?

No, she's just messing with my head.  There's no way Kat loves me, she can barely stand to be around me.

Right?

Samantha pretends to clear her throat, drawing my attention back to her fake tan.  "I'm pretty sure you're going to do whatever I say."

"Leave Kat out of this.  We aren't even together anymore."  It hurts just saying it out loud.

"Oh please, like I believe that."  She rolls her eyes, drawing my attention to the amount of makeup she has caked on her face. 

Kat doesn't hide her face, she doesn't need to.  She's beautiful without all that crap.

"What, didn't my mother tell you?"  I'm surprised dear old mom didn't run straight to her to plan our wedding.

"Maybe, maybe not."  I really wish my mom would stop telling her shit.  "Let's just see if your lying." 

"Excuse me?"  I'm not going anywhere with her.

"Come on, we've got a graduation to attend!"  She announces cheerfully, as though she wasn't threatening me a second ago.

I catch a glimpse of someone walking towards my car. 

Holy shit.

It's Kat.  What is she doing here?

She turns to run just as I jump out of my car, shouting her name.

Was she looking for me?

I can't keep up with her, she's way you fast.  I lose sight of her, but I think I know where she's headed.  Back to that preppy asshole.

I probably look like a crazy person.

Running through a crowd towards a person who wants nothing to do with me.

I frantically grab my phone shooting off a couple texts while still jogging.  Please answer me.

I spot her, wearing my jacket, staring at her phone.  So I send off one more text, hoping she doesn't ignore me.

Kat turns to look at me. 

Thank fuck.  I can't believe that actually worked. 

Her face lights up as her eyes meet mine.  Maybe she missed me as much as I missed her.

A guy can hope, right?

All I've wanted is to see her smile aimed at me.  I can't help but return it.

She stands abruptly, my jacket hanging off her tiny frame.  It's swallowing her whole.  You can barely even see her dress beneath it.

It's sexy as hell. 

I start towards her, but feel a hand wrap around my wrist.  Dammit, I forgot about fucking Samantha.

Kat stops when she sees her.  Shit.

"Come on baby."  She goes in for a kiss, but I turn just in time, so she only gets my cheek. 

"What. The. Fuck."  I almost had Kat back, at least as a friend, maybe. 

I can't control my anger.  I need to hit something.  Like a brick wall. 

With her face.

"Let's find a seat."  She completely ignores me, latching onto my hand and pulling me over to the seat next to Nate.

I yank my hand out of hers.  "Stop touching me."

She giggles, but her eyes looks crazy.  "Oh Benny, that's gonna be hard when we're dating!"

Nate scoffs next to me, but keeps his mouth shut.  Thanks a lot, bro.

Kat's still standing in the same spot with her mouth hanging open.  Suddenly, she yanks off my jacket and marches her little hurricane self over to us.

"Here!"  She throws it at me, before returning to her seat.  I slide it on, even though it's not chilly.  I can faintly smell her unique scent of vanilla and flowers.

"Guess it worked."  Samantha smirks next to me.  "She seemed pretty upset."

"You're a real bitch you know that?" Nate finally speaks up before stomping off. 

He's right.  I'm done with her and her shit.  "You know what, tell whoever you want.  I'm not playing your stupid fucking games."

I stand to follow after Nate, but she grabs onto me.  "You'll change your mind, trust me." 

Yeah, not likely. 

I feel around my pockets for my phone, but feel something else in my jacket. 

Did Kat leave it on purpose?