Chapter 33 Part 2

April's POV

"Bye April!" Nina whooped, dragging Matt behind her as she disappeared into the crowd. Everyone had now left me, meaning my worst fear was complete - being left alone in a party among strangers.

Music blared from speakers on the walls, the wooden panels vibrating with the bass. I tugged my dress down self-consciously and scanned the crowd for familiar faces. Pushing my way through the dimly lit room, I stumbled out of an open doorway. The noise was muffled here and I sighed, massaging the sides of my temple as my body collapsed into a nearby chair.

"Hi," a voice said from the doorway.

It was Noah. He was dressed as a zombie, an axe sticking out of his head, sticky with fake blood. I didn't respond, my eyes wide.

"What do you want?"

He sighed and spread his knees, leaning his elbows on them. "I know you're angry at me – but don't believe everything Aiden tells you. If he told you that I changed Kayla, then he's wrong. It's not like that at all."

I scowled. "Aiden hasn't said anything to me - and even if he did, I know better than to believe him. But I know that you've done something to Kayla to make her hate us, and I want to know what."

He raised his palms. "April, being mates with Aiden has changed you. I thought you were capable of feeling emotions Aiden has subjected himself to not feel. I thought you would give us a chance to explain."

I tucked a piece of hair behind my ear, sighing as I observed him closely. "If you want me to hear you out then fine."

He smiled slightly. "I think I know why Kay hates you. I think it's because you're so very different." His tone changed. "Being with me has made her stronger, more confident and able to speak her mind. Being mates with me has awakened her senses – it's given her a sense of loyalty - to my pack. Not to you or Nina. It's like she can see things clearer now." The atmosphere in the room dropped several degrees.

I stood up dizzily, backing away from him. "I don't know why you're being like this Noah. Kayla doesn't hate us – you made her hate us. Being mates with a werewolf doesn't change you like that!"

He stood up too. "Well you thought wrong – now that you're in the werewolf world April, things are different - loyalty does not lie with one's character - it lies with your blood, your soul - your pack."

"Well, I don't agree with those freaking laws. In case you haven't realized, me and Kayla are humans – not werewolves – humans." I emphasised, making him narrow his eyes at me. "Therefore, we are entitled to believing what we think is right. Not what you think is right. And I say that your character does determine your value - blood means nothing. Not until you give it meaning." I said matter-of-factly, knowing that my tone made him angry.

"April, you're being ignorant. You don't understand this world yet."

I frowned at him. "I don't understand, Noah, why are you so determined to ruin our lives? What have I done wrong to you?"

His expression darkened. "It's Aiden – he's the one I'm trying to punish. The one way to hurt him will be to hurt you."

I froze. "What has Aiden done to you?"

His lips twisted bitterly. "Let's just say we had a disagreement. He took someone from me, which means I want to take someone from him. An eye for an eye."

"Whatever happened between you and Aiden, you need to resolve yourself – not bring others into. Especially Kayla. She's done nothing wrong." I said shakily, my mind running through possibilities.