Chapter 3

Chapter 3

 (Nurse Flora----->)

 For the very first time since I could remember anything in my life, I broke a promise to myself. I told myself that I would give Isaac two weeks to settle into the everyday life and routine at the Institute. And here I am breaking that promise as I swiped my keycard on the panel to open the gates of the Institutes compound.  Nodding to the Guards as I drove past them, I made my way up the drive and parked my car in my designated parking space in the garage.

 It was still early in the afternoon and the patients should be involved in whatever duties they were allotted and some of them should be in group discussions. I knew Isaac was in his room because like a crazed stalker that I have turned into, I have been watching the security feeds especially for his floor.

 Taylor and Flora have been providing me with daily updates as well. Flora in her very outspoken, no hold barred manner basically told me that I was moddle coddling Isaac and that I needed to give him a nudge if not an outright push in order to open up his communication skills, but I disagreed with her point of view.

 There were still too much about him that I didn’t know, we were all working on what the physical and medical evidence have shown us about him, but in order to really help him I needed to get into his head in order to know what and how he feels about it all. I could very well do him more harm than good if I didn’t know where his head was at. I also needed to know what happened to him and for how long had been going on and how he coped with it and so forth.

 There was a laundry list of things I had to find out and shoving him into unknown territory wasn’t going to work. He would clam up and close himself off even more. I advised her to leave him alone and let him take his time to assimilate himself towards everyone and the Institute itself. It seemed that he never had time or the freedom to just do what he wanted to do and I felt that giving him that time would help him open up, but I wasn’t following my own advice. I said I would give him two weeks but here I am with a bagful of his favorite chocolate bars in hand as I made my way to my second floor office.

 Nurse Flora and Taylor had both agreed with my assessments after I explained them and I had breathed a sigh of relief that they understood where I was coming from. I placed Isaac’s treats on my desk and took a seat. There was a small pile of paperwork I had to go through, so I busied myself with that as I shored up the courage to go to see him again. I had to keep my personal feelings for the gorgeous man completely out of this situation. He was my patient first and foremost.

 I steadily made my way through the invoices and office paperwork. I logged onto my computer and answered my emails and declined conference requests and cleaned out all the junk mail in my inboxes. I couldn’t procrastinate anymore. So with a deep sigh, I stood and straighten my suit jacket and pushed my glasses a little further up on my nose. I grabbed Isaac’s candy in my way to the door.

The floor was pretty quiet for a Monday, but this floor only housed the Administrative offices, the patients were housed on the third and fourth floors. The more intensive patents were on the fourth, those that required locked environment and limited freedom for their safety and around the clock supervision. My milder less inhibited patients were on the third floor. There were a total of six patients on the third and ten on the fourth. The first floor housed the main security room, the computer server rooms, the kitchen, unisex hair studio, the gym, the laundry room, the maintenance office, and the family consulting and visiting areas.

 I made it to the elevators without seeing another soul as of yet and swiped my keycard to call the car and for the doors to open. I heard the ding as it arrived and the silent stainless steel panels opened to the empty lift. I got on and pushed the button for the third floor and the doors promptly closed and the car started to move. The ding signaled my arrival and the doors swooshed open again revealing the lobby of the third floor. I stepped out and immediately turned to the right and swiped through the security doors.