The Sheathed Discovery

It was almost impossible for Ector to still see the mage, the mist and forest cut Ector’s visibility to nothing. The mage twisted and turned without a moment’s hesitation. As if he knew where each tree and rock was at before he saw it. Ector cursed the mage’s prophetic abilities as the mage made another quick turn. Now they were riding along a great steep river bed. The path was getting too narrow for Ector’s liking as he tried to steer the horse to the farthest part of the path.

“Slow down damn itt!” shouted Ector as he was then flung off his horse. The steed was startled by the sudden appearance of a squirrel. As Ector flew down into the water, he swore to kill that rodent if he saw it again, knowing that the chance of that was impossible.

He hit the water and sunk to the very bottom of the river. The strength of the water made it difficult for him to raise himself up. Hitting the rocks and other debris made him exhale greatly, he thought he was going to drown. What a way to die, he thought, Not even to die in battle, but in a river, this is just pathetic.

Suddenly he grabbed something along the bottom and instantly he felt no need to breath. The water pulled on him with great strength, but whatever it was he was holding was keeping him alive. He soon pulled his feet to the ground and pulled out the object in his hand, immediately he began to swim up above the water and within moments he felt the sensation of air reach his lungs again.

“Mother fucker!” he screamed. “What the fuck was wrong with that rodent! Jesus Christ! This is shit, utter bull shit! God damnit!”

As he wiped the water from his eyes, he saw Merlin, who was holding Ector’s horse by its reins in one hand, and the banner in the other, looking at the young king as he floated in the water. “I see you found time for a brief swim my liege,” the mage shouted.

Ector mumbled under his breath as he swam towards the wizard. As he wadded out of the water, he noticed Merlin staring at the object in his hand. Ector looked down to see a jeweled encrusted scabbard. “Uh Merlin, it this what I think it is?”

“Aye my lad,” said the wizard, who dismounted and looked at the scabbard, “This is sheath of Excalibur, my God I haven’t seen this in years. How did you find it?”

Ector glared at Merlin, “Really, you have to ask how I found this?”

“I mean where did you find it?”

“I don’t know, somewhere at the bottom of the riverbed. Hell I wasn’t even looking, so much as I was flailing in the water, if we’re going to be honest here.”

“Nevertheless, this was something I had not foreseen. The fates seem to plan great thing for you son.”

Ector was intrigued, “Really, does it have some neat powers?”

Merlin smacked Ector upside his head, “Did you learn nothing from the stories? The scabbard prevents your blood from leaving your body when wounded, and allows you to sustain conditions that would kill most men.”

“So this is good find then?”

Merlin rubbed his head, “Yes, you blundering idiot, this is a good thing. In fact, I think I’ve just popped a…”

“Please don’t finish that statement, I don’t need that imagery in my head.”

Merlin and Ector laughed as they remounted their steeds. Ector placed the new sheath on his belt and placed Caliburn inside, “How do you feel, Cee?”

“It’s kinda cozy in here, and the extra leg room is nice too.”

Merlin shook his head, “I don’t even want to know.”

Before he could respond, Ector saw the squirrel that startled the horse. “You! Come here you little bastard!” he cried before darting of towards the creature.

“Very mature Ector! Get back here before I turn you into a lizard!” Merlin looked at the Dragon’s head, which now glowed brighter than ever, the orange mist turning into a low moan and flames. “Ah I see, the enemy is near. Time for the third miracle then.”