✙ Chapter 14 ✙

Hey!

An update so early? Insane, I know! But, I have been so eager to write this chapter! You have no idea! I hope you like it! I'm sorry for any mistakes! Don't be afraid to tell me what you think! :D

Thanks for reading!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited: 12/28/14

"You're lying," Drew said, staring at me with his narrowed eyes. When our embrace had ended, which was much longer than I had preferred, he dragged me to his office on the second floor. His office was large, twice the size of my bedroom at home. Bookshelves lined the walls, reaching the height of the ceiling, and a chandelier hung above the center of the office, dangling dangerously over his leather couches. Though, the chandelier provided the majority of the light in the office while random dim lamps scattered the room, mostly near the books. At the front of the office, rested his wooden desk with a spinning black, leather chair. Piles of papers were stacked at the corners of his desk, cluttering his area, and a map stretched out on the hard surface with some areas highlighted. I didn't bother asking him why they were highlighted, not expecting him to inform me.

"I swear, I was only chased by one werewolf, then lost him when I went falling down this hill," I lied, shrugging calmly. In the last five minutes, I had repeated this lie multiple times. He wasn't falling for it; I wasn't going to tell him the truth, mainly because I didn't know how. The last thing I needed was him to think I was crazy about werewolves with red eyes chasing me, before meeting a random guy who claimed he was capable of controlling his transitioning. Plus, I didn't need him worrying about me, turning even more protective on my ass.

He scowled. "Stop lying."

"I'm not lying."

He gritted his teeth together. "Why won't you tell me what happened last night?" He was growing frustrated with me - he ran his fingers through his hair, nearly pulling a chunk out. Thinking about hair, I brought my hand up to my scalp, feeling another bald spot. Caine said somebody who worked for him grabbed my hair and knocked me out - once I figured out who that person was, I was going to beat their ass. Who the hell had the audacity to rip a girl's hair out? I wasn't one of those girls who spent an hour curling or straightening their hair, but I still loved my hair. And, now, I was growing bald.

"I'm telling you the truth," I argued, frustrated that he wasn't falling for it. Since when was I such a terrible liar?

"I don't believe you."

"God, why are you making this such a big deal?" I asked, popping off the lid of a blue highlighter. I groaned in frustration, shaking my head at him. There was a silence - he tapped his fingers on the map in front of him, chewing on his bottom lip. I jabbed the lid back on the highlighter, wondering why he went quiet.

He took a deep breath. "I heard you scream my name last night." My heart nearly leaped out of my chest at those words. Damn it. He had heard me scream his name for help when I was being chased last night? I felt embarrassed; my cheeks reddened a little bit and I tried to play it off that I was hot by waving my hand near my face. He looked at me, several emotions swarming in his eyes. Regret. Sadness. Anger. Feeling my cheeks returning to their normal color, I stopped waving my hand and tucked a strand of my dirty hair behind my ear, sputtering for a moment.

"Oh," was the first word that came out of my mouth. "Well, I, uh, was desperate. The werewolf was gaining on me."

He shook his head. "When I heard you scream my name, I didn't know what to do. I didn't think you were stupid enough to try to escape on the full moon - I was completely chained down." I nibbled on my upper lip, awkwardly playing with the pencils on his desk. "And, I-I tried getting to you, Nora. I almost ripped my hands off in the process, but I couldn't get loose. . .when I had shifted back, I thought you were dead. Do you have any idea what that does to a werewolf? That his mate might be gone? It's one of the worst feelings in the world - I, uh, was relieved when Jay found you."