Thirster 2467: Prologue

1996

It was just a normal night in the Hurly household. A break of snow falling on the suburban streets of Port Jefferson. Six year old Marilyn is staying up late a night, trying to show her older brother that she can keep up with the thirteen year old energy he has.

It's a Friday night, so the parents don't have a problem that their daughter to stay up late. Besides her older brother, she has an eight year old sister but she is always do her own things.

Christmas movies are playing on the large television of their living room, the bright colors glaring off of Marilyn eyes while she cheers mentally in her head about Christmas soon to be coming. Oh how much she loves Christmas and the gifts and the family parties. Who doesn't?

But she doesn't know that behind that red door of their house that's keeping them locked away in the darkness of outside is something sinister. Their are dangerous creatures and no regular humans know about.

"Ha-ha! I told you I can stay up till twelve-o'clock!" Marilyn points at the clock hanging on the wall, jumping up and down on the couch. Her brother is giving her a soft smile, shaking his head.

"Well, now let's see if you can stay up till one in the morning." She huffed out, crossing her arms over her chest.

"I will."

"No, no. Marilyn, you are going to bed."

"But dad!" She whines while her father who is sitting on the other couch that's against the other wall stands up.

"No buts, you won't get sleep." Her brother chuckles at her defeat and Marilyn slowly proceeds her way up to her bedroom in silence. Her father is following behind, trying not to wake up his wife who's bedroom is next to Marilyn's.

Marilyn as usual gets tucked in her bed and gets a soft kiss on her forehead.

"Sleep tight." Her father whispers before slowly closing the door behind him.

~~~~~

It's as if they've been waiting to do this. The bloodthirsty monsters crashing through the Hurly household windows, busting through the door and attacking the humans who didn't know what was going on.

First the son, his throat torn less than ten seconds, gurgles of blood oozing out of his bloody mouth. The Christmas music from the television playing behind all the muffles and cries.

Second was the father. His attention so oblivious at what was happening to his own built home. The way the monster came up to him, sharp razor teeth exposed with his lips pulled back in a hiss. Broken bones, head ripped off his body.

The creatures of the night knew their was more in the house. The television still playing the classy music the family usually sings along during carols. The stairs creaked silently, their nails dragging along the wooden railing. Blood dripping down their chins and onto their clothing.

Those creatures were vampires.

They thirsted on human blood and only human blood. There was nothing else to satisfy the burning hunger they long for during the day just to savagely rip humans to pieces during the night. The vampires heard the wooden floorboards of upstairs creak and rumble.

The bedroom door right across from them when they arrive locked shut. Slamming it open, a mother let's out a pleading cry. As if they would feel guilty and walk away from her to survive. The only thing they wanted was her blood that was pulsing through her veins so quickly as if she was on a rollercoaster.