You Think You Can Kinkshame Me Under My Own Roof?

Chapter 16: You Think You Can Kinkshame Me Under My Own Roof?

((Playlist: Girls Like Girls by Hayley Kiyoko))

Dinner was an awkward affair. For one, they sat at the austere dining room that was too large to be used practically for anything short of a dinner party; normally, they all just ate in the kitchen.

Then there was the fact that Sophie's parents seemed bent on grilling the details of Amy's college life, which wouldn't have been so weird if Amy didn't dodge most of the questions.

"So, Amy, it's nice to have you back after so long." Her mother said it with a smile, but the glint in her eyes turned it into an accusation.

"It's good to be back," she said, meeting her steely gaze over her glass of iced tea.

"What's been keeping you so busy?" Her father asked, not really catching onto the tension in the room.

Sophie flinched at the wording of the question. No wonder she's stayed away so long, she thought, poking a piece of turkey in her mouth.

"Just the usual college stuff," Amy said dismissively, "Classes, studying, etcetera."

Her mother grinned slyly. " Has your boyfriend been keeping you busy?"

Amy's eyes turned to ice. "I don't have a boyfriend."

Her mother's eyes darted down to her food, and she went quiet.

The table fell silent. Sophie kept her eyes down, not wanting to be called on for conversation. I hope not everything is like this while Amy's home, she thought. Having her sister back was nice, but she couldn't take this thick, heavy silence that froze over the entire house like a sheet of ice.

"I'm engaged."

The statement came from out of nowhere, and the icy calm fractured.

Their mother dropped her fork. "What?"

Amy looked up from her plate, her stony expression daring anyone to challenge her. "That's what I came back here to say. I'm engaged. I'm getting married this summer, after I graduate."

A bemused expression clouded their father's face. "I thought you said you didn't have a boyfriend."

"For crying out-" Amy cut herself off, shaking her head, "I've never been with a guy. I'm marrying a girl!"

Their father froze with his fork halfway to his mouth. Their mother froze too, her face full of anger and shock. After a few seconds of their parents just staring in disbelief at Amy, Sophie piped up, "wow, Amy, that's awesome!"

Their mother's eyes were livid. "Excuse me? You're marrying a girl?"

"Yes, mother, I am," Amy replied in a surprisingly calm tone.

Their father put his fork down and shook his head. "Amelia, we went over this. You aren't gay. It's unnatural."

"It isn't unnatu-" Amy began, but was cut off by her mother.

"Yes, it is. It's a sin, and I will not let my daughter live that sort of life!" Her mother exclaimed. Sophie could only watch in shock as her family fought around her.

Amy set her jaw. "What's so wrong about liking girls?"

"Everything! It's written out in the Bible in plain English!" Their father's voice rose. "You will be living an ungodly and unclean life if you choose to be a homosexual!"

Amy's eyes flashed with anger. "'Choose?' I didn't 'choose' to be gay! Why the hell would I choose to discriminated against by people like you my entire life?!" She retorted. "I can't help it that I like girls!"