The King's Ballad (Part 2)

Terror seized the Valley of K'iol as the Demon King jumped into the armies's center. This action was not one made out of blind pride, but a calculated move to prevent ranged attacks. The blood swords chained to his arms were perfect for ambush situations as they extended for several meters ahead of him with each strike. This wide range allowed him to sweep away scores of approaching enemies before they could get close.

"He seems to be doing well, Aileera," Freya, an old Mage, remarked from his vantage point on an overlooking cliff. Five famous guildmasters flanked him on either side, their respective gazes trained on the battle in the valley.

"It is of no consequence," Aileera, the Mage who had confronted Razznik in the mist, replied. "Those blades, while powerful, possess a fatal flaw."

"And what, pray tell, is this flaw?"

"It shall present itself soon enough," she calmly replied.

Contrary to her words, several minutes passed, and the weakness refused to present itself. Razznik continued to slaughter his way through the armies with ease. Chaotic wildfires burned around the Demon King as his swords unleashed his burning wrath on the masses. However, despite the Demon King's seemingly inevitable victory, the military did not waver in the slightest, for they had numbers and glory on their side.

Razznik had not expected the haphazardly combined armies to retain their morale for so long. He examined the combatants before him with a heavy gaze. To his surprise, he recognized the enthusiasm in the adventurers' eyes. It was one that had shone in his eyes for the longest time.

Yes, the look in the Warriors' eyes was one that could only be brought on by a seemingly insurmountable wall. It was not so much the final victory that was so exciting, but the journey needed to reach a level where you could break down that wall with your strength. It was a journey that usually required a person to throw everything they had at the wall. It was a mission that oozed blood, sweat, and tears. Despite all this, it was an enticing journey precisely because of the promise that just beyond that wall laid your greatest desire.

Those with that look were able to stay in the fight because they knew that while it may take a long time, eventually a crack would appear in that wall. And when it did, it was only a matter of time before it came crashing down.

A Pugilist dodged to the side as Razznik's swords smashed into the earth. He signaled a Mage close by, who cast a spell on him that significantly increased his speed. The Pugilist kept his body low and dashed forward, shamelessly using his fellow adventurers as cover whenever the swords swung down.

Soon, the Pugilist arrived under the Demon King's nose, and before Razznik could retract his swords, the young Pugilist launched an uppercut. Mana exploded underneath Razznik's feet and sent him sliding backward, barely dodging the attack.

"Impressive," Razznik praised as he came to a stop. The short respite caused by that blow granted the adventurers enough time to close the gaps Razznik had opened. The Demon King decided to change his weapon. The swords vanished in a flash of light, and a black staff took their place. The staff was another one of his favorite creations.

Just as the excited Warriors lunged at him, he stomped the butt of the staff on the ground, creating a shockwave that repelled them. His wielded the staff with his right hand, which he placed behind his back, and motioned for the Warriors to charge at him with his left.

Enraged by the Razznik's taunts, the adventurers did just that — and soon regretted it.

"His swordsmanship is truly impeccable," Freya remarked as Razznik cleared subsequent waves of adventurers. The Demon King's lightning-fast reflexes were on full display as he repeatedly dodged attacks at the last second before unleashing a devastating counter-attack to dispatch scores of Warriors.