Chapter Twenty Three

Top Commenters:
jmgok-
viibequeen
Lunaofwerewolves
Positivert
idiosyncraticforever 

Word Count: 1691

~Mara

It took three frightening minutes to console Kaden.

I didn't dare question, I just sat on the edge of his hospital bed, running my hand slowly down his back. The fear in his eyes has chilled my blood. To see someone like Kaden, who is usually so calm and content in his position, be so genuinely scared, is scarring.

Coen. The innocent, polite man who had once helped me attempt an escape. How could he possibly do wrong? With his warm eyes, and slight smile...

Him and Kaden are nothing alike.

"Why would Coen hurt me?" I question lightly. His breathing has gotten calmer, the more I touch him. He now seems to be fairly steady beneath my fingertips.

His jaw clenched. "Because you're a pawn."

My eyebrows furrow together. A pawn? Kaden twists his head to catch my gaze, noticing my confused expression.

"I love to win my games, Mara. Coen prefers the process of the game. The manipulation that is involved. Using every piece as a weapon," Kaden murmurs.

His words hardly make sense to me, but the look in his eye suggests he's deadly serious. I want to unleash the questions trapped within my mind, but I allow Kaden to talk first.

"You may have thought Coen liked you, but he didn't. He used you, to get to me," Kaden expressed. His words hit me like a lunch to the chest. He never liked me?

"Tell me how?" I prompt.

"Coen is my twin brother, only minutes younger. Mother said he was what was unleashed from Pandora's box. Even though she loved him, she described him of the epitome of envious."

"He was jealous of you?" I question, but I already new the answer.

I could only imagine what Coen had to go through. Your brother getting the title of Alpha, while you, only a few moments younger, is forced to continue on an ordinary life in the shadow of his success.

And now...I've lost all control over him," he murmurs. The frightened look suddenly appears like a flash within his eyes. I tighten my grip on his hand, letting him know that he can share anything with me.

"What did you mean, when you said that I was a pawn?" I decide to ask. The question had been eating at the edge of this conversation.

Kaden swallowed. "Coen has been using you against me. He threatens me with your life. I have no choice but to comply."

My mind whirrs, as I try consume and sought every shred of information I've been cryptically spoon fed.

"You're an Alpha. Why don't you just...Kick him out?"

Kaden shifts in his seat, but winces due to the wound on his chest. Settling even closer to him, I place my hand on his arm, wanting to feel more contact between us. He seems to relax at the sparks that we share between us.

"He's the..." Breaks off, squeezing his eyes shut.

"He's the only one who knows where my parents are."