Chapter 13: Distance

Nicholas's POV

"I don't understand why haven't you guys finished this yet?! You don't even have a lead Mark!" I screamed into the phone.

"Sir we tried, but every lead is a dead end!" Mark said back with frustration. I don't care.

"I've no idea what you're going to do. But I want it sorted out quickly. Who was that guy who just walked into my wedding trying to spoil it, and none of you were aware of his actions if I hadn't alerted you. Forget him! He just died last week. What about those men who were following Eve at the mall? Thankfully they didn't attack, and your reason was that we had less men. What if they had actually attacked? I don't understand how my father chose you all to protect me?! Or to even enter into this field!" This shut him up, I guess.

I was still waiting for him when suddenly I felt like I was being watched or someone's.... presence.
"Mark I'll call you back" I whispered and cut the call immediately.

Evelyn's POV

I didn't expect that Asshole to cheat me like this. Well, I should've known! He never changed. If his family was friends with mine, then it's obvious what they are. I don't even trust his family. I don't know what was their plan, why did they have to get me married to him in the first place!? They obviously did it on purpose! How am I so sure? I know alright! And what's this new story about the baby. Hellooo! It's my life, my body, my womb. I'd rather run away. Anyways I don't care about anyone anymore. I just need to get some fresh air.

I walked down the hall trying to figure out which room might be Nick's office. I do remember it was two floors down. Not which room....

I heard a loud voice as though screaming at someone. Which is undoubtedly Nick!
"-actions if I hadn't alerted you. Forget him! He just died last week. What about those men who were following Eve at the mall. Thankfully they didn't attack, and your reason was that we had less men. What if they had actually attacked? I don't understand how my father chose you all to protect me?! Or to even enter into this field!" He finished. He's definitely on phone... he was quiet for a bit and then I heard some hush hush voice and the door was suddenly opened by Nick with a revolver in his hand. I jumped back by his actions. By the way he's been acting since last week, I'm sure he wouldn't think before killing me.

I raised my hands in surrender and blinked my eyes wide at him.
He huffed and asked "what are you doing here? That too hiding behind the door?" He asked.

"I wasn't hiding!" I quickly exclaimed but calmed myself. "I came here to ask you for something" I said folding my arms. He nodded indicating me to continue. "I want your credit card." I said without any hesitation. If I don't have any right on him then I should at least have the money.

He just walked inside to place the revolver on the table with his back facing me now. I waited until he turned back. He narrowed his eyes at me. What he thinks I'm a gold digger? Babe that's what I'm doing! I don't care what he thinks. Why should I when he didn't while I was crying myself to sleep for almost a week. "You're going shopping?" He asked.

"Isn't it obvious?!" I said rolling my eyes at him.

He searched his pant pocket and removed a wallet and then handed me the black card. "Actually.... wait for few minutes. I'm coming with you" he said casually.

"What?!" I screamed as soon as his words sunk in. No..... I just wanted to have some time for myself.

"It's not safe to go alone yineka mou" he said in a warning but loving tone.
Why use the loving tone now? He has already told me the truth he doesn't have to pretend anymore. What was his plan? To trick me into a loving and long-lasting marriage and then insult me by sleeping with me. I already feel cheap enough about myself. He doesn't have to come along and add to my grief.