Chapter Twenty Four

Trent

"I promise we've had this conversation at least a hundred times now. I'm also not a creepy person." I run my fingers through my hair and take a deep breath.

"Why don't I remember then?" She frowns.

"I can explain everything, I've done it enough times now."

It's hard caring for a ghost with a wonky memory, even harder because I don't know if she's fading into her body or deteriorating from life, especially now that I'm falling for her.

"Let's break my heart all over again."

I hold my hand out and Marley hesitantly winds her fingers through mine.

"I'm sorry."

"I can't keep doing this." Her shoulders slump as she crumbles into the couch.

I didn't want to be the person who keeps hurting her, but this situation doesn't seem like one I can just snap my fingers and automatically fix it.

"Healing takes time."

"What happened to me?"

"You're a ghost."

"A ghost?" Her bottom lip quivers.

"You're not dead, but you're in a coma."

"Will I survive?"

"You will." I tug on a brave face for her.

Marley wraps her arms around her body and takes a deep breath.

"Everything will be okay."

I don't know if it will, but some hope can't hurt.

* * * * *

The alarm blares, so I smash the snooze button and dive under the covers. Six am flashes in neon green which makes me groan.

"Are you getting up?"

Marley's head pops up and she grins,

"Why are you so chirpy this early in the morning?" I groan.

"Because I don't need to sleep to have energy."

"You're back."

"For now." She sighs. "I'm sorry for everything I've put you through."

"Don't worry about it."

The alarm buzzes and Marley pushes the off button. I flip the covers off and wander into the bathroom. Perhaps some cold water will wake me up.

Once I'm showered and dressed, I step outside and look around. Panic spreads through me as Marley is nowhere to be found.

I race out of the bedroom and peer into every bedroom. I hope she hasn't forgotten herself and wandered onto the street.

My phone rings, so I dash back and answer.

"Hello?"

"It's Adam." The tone of his voice makes my stomach knott.

"Is Marley okay?"

"The doctors called today. I know I shouldn't have left her." Adam sobs.

"What's happened?"

"Something bad has happened. They're running tests, but she's not responding to anything. They don't know what's wrong."

"Are you at the hospital?"

"I'm at home."

"I'm leaving now, then we'll go to the hospital."

"Okay."

I grab my things and head outside, but no matter how fast I run, it feels like I'm not going anywhere. I wish she was with me right now, even if she has no memory of me or herself.

* * * * *