67 So Like What Do We Do Now?

Jonas~~

It's a few days before I'm feeling well enough to get back to work. In the time that I've been gone, dust has settled onto the wood of my desk. After Andrew's treason, I only allow my office to be cleaned if I'm present in the room.

Colton should be here in a few minutes. I know he's wanting to speak about Vienna. I'm already planning to visit her later about her possibly going to another country and staying out of prison as a way to thank her for the help she rendered me.

I turn over my left arm. The Mark is hidden underneath the layers of the blue sleeve of my linen shirt and a bandage. I didn't expect to feel grief that the numbers that have hunted me my entire life are now ruined. 14. Scratched out of existence. If the rebels had seen my full Mark though—

I close my eyes, letting my hand fall back to my side. What would they have done? Killed me? Exposed me to the country—the world?

I take a seat behind my desk. In the days since I've returned, I haven't had the chance to speak with Iris about France. When I haven't been resting, I've been doing small tasks required of my role as Preeminence.

And Iris, well, she's been overwhelmed by Amoris wanting to see her. When we returned to the Estate, the Amoris who had been imprisoned with me did not keep Iris's Expired status a secret. I'm not sure what the Amorians think makes Iris more of an anomaly—that she's Expired or that she helped save them even though she's Expired.

Whichever it is, they're grateful. And for that, I'm grateful as well.

I've seen her for short periods of time but not long enough to broach the subject of her leaving for France.

But I will tonight. I'm taking her to the cove. Where we—

There's a knock on my door.

I adjust my sleeves. "Come in."

Colton steps inside and shuts the door behind him. "Preeminence."

"Beta."

He seems unsure as he makes his way into one of the two chairs in front of my desk. "I want her exported." So we're jumping right into it.

"A few days ago, you refused to use that word in regard her." I personally though never liked the word exile. It sounds so incredibly final. Something about exported to me sounds less harsh. If that's possible.

He looks at a spot beyond me. "It's easier this way. If she's in Elleany—even in a prison—I know I won't be able to move on."

"Do you know where you would like her to be sent?"

"You decide. I don't want to know where. I don't want to be able to find her."

I lean back in my seat, examining his face: the way his mouth tugs down, the lack of light in his eyes, the lines across his forehead. "You're sure this is what you want?"

His eyes lock onto mine. "Yes." He doesn't blink.

I sigh. "I'll see what I can do then."

"Thank you. What of Erik?"

"I'm leaning toward Exporting him."

"After everything he's done? You truly believe that's the best idea?"

"We'll have a Senate meeting to discuss it."

"You have too much of a soft spot for family."