Such a Night

I stared helplessly at the gravestone.

"Y-y-you r-r-rose f-from the dead?" I heard Ethan ask, before he fainted. Luckily, Dakota caught him and placed him gently on the ground.

The girl frowned in confusion. She seemed scared and kept her distance. I didn't like her being afraid.

"Who are you people?" She wondered softly. "Why am I here?"

Dakota stared at the girl slack-jawed, so I decided to speak up.

"It's complicated," I chuckled nervously. "We come in peace, I swear."

She shook her head quickly and took another step back. "You white folks never come in peace."

"But we do!" Dakota argued. I raised my hand telling her to stop.

I tried taking a few steps towards her, but she took a few back. She looked like a mouse cornered by a cat. I really didn't like her being scared of me.

"It's the 21st century - I know it sounds crazy, but come with us and we'll explain everything to you," I told her, surprising myself by how calm I sounded.

"We can't take her with us," Dakota muttered. "What are you gonna do? Let her live in your dorm forever?"

I sighed. "We'll think about that later - she doesn't have anyone. We can't leave her here. And it's our fault that she's here in the first place. So wake Ethan up and let's get fucking going."

Dakota nodded, kneeling down to Ethan and slapping him across the face.

Ruth watched in fear.

I tried to give her a reassuring smile.

And then, I caught her smiling a little back and the world belonged to me.

"Now what?" Dakota watched me pace around, as she sat on Ethan's bed. Ethan still wasn't quite awake yet. I had carried him all the way to the fucking dorm. So much for a partynight.

Ruth had hunkered down on the chair.

She was beautiful, to put it lightly.

"You could hide her in your dorm for now - she'll feel more comfortable with you, since you're both girls," I suggested after a while.

Dakota scoffed. "How am I gonna explain that to my roommate Lucy?"

"Good point, she looks like a snitch."

Dakota rolled her eyes. "Besides, it was Ethan's stupid invention..."

"That's not what you said when you two were bickering over that shit," I told her in a sing song manner.

"Whatever, I'm tired - I'm going to bed," She said with a yawn. Then she looked at her snoring brother. "Hopefully this big baby will rise back from the dead too."

She walked over to the door, wishing me and Ruth a goodnight.

I stared dumbfounded at Dakota. "What? You're just gonna leave me here and sleep after this batshit insane night like nothing happened?"

She just shrugged. "I can't think straight when I'm tired."

"Fine, traitor," I answered grumpily.

She crossed her arms and smirked. "Oh come one, like it's anything new to the great Cory Parks to be left alone with a pretty girl in his dorm..."

"You make a lot of good points today - keep it up," I winked at her, which she replied to with an eyeroll, before leaving the room.

The door closed and I turned around to Ruth.