16 • Our Little Secret

For the rest of the day, Eva oddly found herself sneaking glances at Jessalyn who was on the leftmost side of the classroom

What is the matter with me? Eva thought sulkily. Something didn't feel right with her. She felt... she felt sorry for yelling at Jessalyn— she felt like she needed to say sorry. But the thought of it was just ridiculous.

It was Eva herself who wanted nothing to do with the girl but now that she'd done what she had, there was a strong urge in her to make amends for it. It surprised her just how forceful this new feeling was—how it seemed as if she couldn't stay still and comfortable until she saw Jessalyn smile again.

Eva thought it made herself seem rather stupid.

"Why do you keep looking over there?" Terrence's voice startled her, reminding Eva that she was still in the classroom and everyone was doing an activity that their teacher was just showing them how to do.

    Eva merely shook her head.

  She'd successfully avoided all attempts of his to make conversation for the past week and she was satisfied with herself for it.

"Well, tell me," he persisted.

Eva scowled at him, wondering how on earth of all people she had to end up with him next to her. The class had desks grouped into pairs, so their adjoined tables didn't allow her to move five feet away from him as she so desperately wished.

"Jessalyn," she muttered, annoyed now.

"Jessie?" he blinked in surprise. "What are you looking at her for?"

"None of your business."

"Fine then, I'll just ask her," he countered.

Eva glared at the boy. "She doesn't know I've been looking at her!"

"Then you'll just have to tell me yourself," he smiled but Eva didn't return the gesture. Oh, how she loathed him.

"She is upset," Eva stated matter-of-factly, as if she was reading a newspaper clipping.

Terrence raised his eyebrows, "and why are you worried about her?"

Eva's cheeks grew hot. "I AM NOT WORRIED ABOUT HER!" she exclaimed, causing everybody, including Jessalyn, to look at her in surprise.

"Is everything alright there?" their teacher asked, from where she was crouched over Jimmy Stratton's desk, explaining something to him.

"Yes," Terrence quickly spoke up, "I'm sorry, it was my fault, miss. I was bothering her. Won't happen again." He grinned at the end and Eva noticed her teacher's face soften and a smile take over.

"Get on with your activities then everybody, go on." And with that, she turned back to chubby Jimmy and resumed her explanation.

Eva couldn't stop staring at Terrence, bewildered by what he just did.