We're Gonna Get Through This

VERY SHORT CHAPTER

★ ★ ★

Marlena chewed nervously on her fingernails as she waited on Bucky to make his way down the stairs. He was leaving today to turn himself in, and Marlena was quite upset about it. She hated that he had to go through this—she hated that he was being forced to turn himself in for something he didn't even do. Bucky wasn't the monster everyone thought he was, and it broke her heart that she was among the very few who wanted to believe that.

Wanda sat beside her on the couch, her thoughts drifting much the same as Marlena's were. If she could trade places with Bucky so he wouldn't have to go through the mental and physical abuse she was sure he would be put through were he to turn himself in, she would. She couldn't stand the thought of watching him being dragged away in handcuffs any less than she would if Marlena was in the same situation. Bucky wasn't a monster. Bucky was a victim—a victim Wanda and Marlena both felt didn't deserve to be locked up.

They were determined to make sure that didn't happen, though. Once the trial was underway, the two girls were going to do whatever it took to make sure he got to come back home. They were going to do whatever it took to make sure he was able to be with his friends again—his family. He deserved to be free, and he deserved to live the life he had always wanted to live before Hydra decided to screw it all up for him.

"I'm ready to go," Bucky's voice sounded.

The two girls looked up at the sound of his voice and both stood from their seats as they watched him make his way down the stairs. He seemed a bit nervous, as well as a bit terrified—that much the girls could sense. He was afraid that once he went in, he would never come out; he was afraid that nothing would be enough to set him free, and although there was a part of him that knew he didn't deserve to be free, the other part of him was terrified of what might happen were he not allowed the opportunity to be free.

"Are you okay?" Marlena asked, though she knew the answer.

Bucky shrugged and shoved his hands into the pockets of his jeans. "I would be better if I weren't headed down to the police station to turn myself in."

"Are you sure you don't want us to come with you?" Wanda questioned.

"Yeah," Bucky nodded. "I'd rather you two not watch me being dragged away in handcuffs."

Marlena frowned and moved to wrap her arms around him, squeezing as tightly as she could without harming him. "You're not gonna be gone long, okay? I meant what I said last night."

"I know you did," Bucky spoke quietly as he hugged her back.

"I love you so much, James Buchanan," Marlena said to him. "We're gonna get through this."

Bucky pulled away from the hug to press a kiss to her lips, one that he wasn't sure when he would be able to have again. "I love you, Marlena," he said before glancing over at Wanda. "And I even love you, Wan."

Wanda smiled and hugged his side, while Marlena hugged his other side.

"I know I was mad at you both for what you did, and I still don't approve of it, but I just wanna thank you both for everything you've done to help me," Bucky said quietly. "No matter what happens within the next few weeks or so, just know that I will always be grateful to have had you in my life."

"Don't speak as if you're not gonna see us again, Buck," Marlena chastised him.

Bucky shrugged his shoulders and pulled away from them. "You never know. I mean, why would any sane person wanna set someone like me free to run the streets?"

"Stop," Wanda spoke sternly. "You will be free, okay? They will understand everything, and you will be free, Bucky."

Bucky gave a small smile and grabbed his jacket. "I admire your optimism," he said as he moved towards the front door.

"Are you walking or something?" Marlena inquired.

Bucky shook his head and started back towards them again. "Sam and Steve are actually outside waiting for me."

"I thought they were in New York?" Wanda mused.

"Yeah, I thought that, too," Bucky answered.

He let out a sigh and pressed another kiss to Marlena's lips before moving to kiss the top of Wanda's head.

"Try to behave while I'm gone, okay?" Bucky teased the two them as he inched his way toward the front door again.

"I make no promises," Wanda smirked.

Bucky scoffed and pulled the front door open. "I should've figured. I love you both, okay? I'll see you soon."

"Bye, Buck," Marlena breathed out.

Bucky gave a small smile in response and headed out the door, leaving the two girls to ponder over when or if they'd ever have a moment like that with him again.