chapter 45

Remus has me hoisted up on his back and is running at full-speed down the corridors doing his best to get us to Filch's office before our next class starts. I know we won't make it back on time, but bless his heart for trying. Holding a large box in my arms above my head makes it difficult to stay upright and I have to wrap my legs extra tightly around his waist. I begin slipping down and start whining about how uncomfortable his bony hips feel stabbing into my legs. In turn he frowns in concentration, bumps me back up and continues on our way.

He drops me down as we make it to our destination and bends over to catch his breath. I roll my shoulders and crack my neck. "Well that was difficult."

He stares at me, wide-eyed and frustrated, the bags under his eyes prominent. "Difficult?" He repeats incredulously. "Difficult? I'm sorry, but who was the one carrying you and the cat?!"

"Oh, hush up you. Catch your breath, lower your temper, I'll be back in a few minutes." I knock three times on Filch's office door and the door swings open only seconds later. "Hello!" I smile, "May I come in?" He frowns in confusion but moves to the side to allow me to enter and shuts the door when I do.

I shove the gift out in front of me and exclaim, "Happy birthday!"

His face softens immensely and his eyes widen and gloss over. "How...how did you know?"

I shrug with a cheeky grin. "That's for me to know and for you to never know. This is for you." I push the decorative box closer to him and wait patiently as he stares down at it.

"Why are you giving me this, Holland?" His dark eyes flick to mine and he takes a step back. "Is it going to explode?"

I giggle softly. "Of course not! And everyone deserves a gift on their birthday, silly bean!"

"But I'm not a – you don't – why me?" He stumbles over his words and it's the first time I've ever seen him showing any emotion other than his usual sourness.

"Why not you?" I challenge with a grin. "I just wanted to get you something nice for all the hard work you do here. It does not go unnoticed. Nice job catching me out so late most nights. Now will you please just accept my present?"

"Okay." He caves, taking the box from my arms. "Thanks." He actually smiles and it ends up looking more like a grimace but I return it nonetheless.

As he slips the top off the box, I say, "The man at the shelter said her name is Mrs Norris. Odd name for a cat if you ask me, but there you go." Mrs Norris is a scrawny, dust-coloured cat with bulging yellow, lamp-like eyes. She meows up at Filch and he smiles again and shakily picks her up. She nuzzles into him, purring and he lets an uncharacteristic giggle escape his lips. "Well, I'll leave you to get to know one another. I hope you have a good birthday, sir. I'll see you in detention sometime!"

I leave the office quickly and shut the door on my way out. "How did it go?" Remus' now softer voice sounds from behind me.

"It went splendidly! He loved it! Wouldn't stop sobbing about how wonderful I am. He nearly proposed! I truly think it was a breakthrough." I nudge Remus with a goofy smile.

"Okay," He chuckles. "so what really happened?"

"Rundown version is he was confused about why I was giving him a present and I called him a silly bean."