Chapter 4

A sense of familiarity washes over me, almost as if I've been here before. The feeling is indescribable. As if my body had been here but not my mind. I shake the strange thought from my head, hoping that if I ignored it, there would be no need to understand.

My father taught me that trick. Ever since my accident, memories would resurface here and there and I'd just push them away. He told me how hard it would be to be able to tell which ones were true and which ones were just dreams.

But no matter how hard I try to push the strange feeling away, I just can't. I've been here before. The dimly lit room contains only a round wooden table. Although the space is so minimalist, the table is exorbitant, taking up most of the room. About 15 people sit around the table, rising to their feet as I enter. One woman bows to me and the rest follow.

"Welcome to Headquarters. We're happy to have you here." The woman who had initially bowed smiles kindly. I assume this is the leader of their group as she seems to take action before the rest of the members. I can't help but notice she even stands taller, prouder than the rest.

"I wish I could say I was happy to be here, but under the circumstances I don't think that's possible." I reply brazenly, the corner of my mouth twitching upward as I see a few faces frown.

The woman pays no attention to my smart remark and carries on with her welcome speech to me. "I hope your stay is as comfortable as possible, although that all depends on your ability to comply." She pauses as if to make sure I have nothing to say. "I suppose you're wondering why you're here."

"Yes, the thought has crossed my mind." I say rolling my eyes.

"I'm sure you already know that we're in the middle of a war. We need your help to win this. We need a leader." The woman looks at me, her eyes pleading. She seems to have shrunken down in her seat, knowing I hold the power in this situation.

"And you want me to be your leader? I don't even know what the Liberatum is. Why are you fighting?"

"You're really oblivious to everything that's been going on?" I shrug. "We're fighting against the monarchy. The Liberatum is going to save Amara's people from the corruption of our government. We plan to overthrow the King and put one of our own on the throne. No longer will our streets be filled with beggars, and children struggling to survive. We're fighting in hopes that we might find equality, and peace. The only thing putting the rebellion on hold is our need for our leader. If anyone could ever figure where she would be, it would be you."

"What makes you think I'd be able to find your leader?" I ask curiously.

"Because she's your mother."

***

The hardest part of my recovery has been figuring out who I can or can't trust. I've always thought I'd be able to trust my family unconditionally, but now I'm not so sure. If this woman really is telling the truth, everything I thought I knew would be questionable. If my mother really is alive, how could I trust her? I don't even know her. But even worse, if she's alive, how can I ever trust my father again? Of course I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation for all of this. Perhaps my mother was captured during the war and my father assumed she was dead. Maybe the Liberatum are misinformed and their leader isn't even out there. Whatever the reason, for the time being, I know I trust my father.

Pictures of my mother materialize in my mind, and I try to picture her as being the leader of a rebellion, but I almost laugh at the ridiculousness. There's no way she would wage a war against my father and his city. I can't believe I almost believed that woman. I think to myself. No way this group of people will kidnap me, trap me in some kind of underground community, and pit me against my own family, the people I've known as long as I can remember.

Caleb and I walk silently through the tunnel as I think about everything I've just learned. He climbs up a ladder leading up to the hatch we came in from and as the hatch swings open, I'm blinded by a brilliant light. It takes my eyes a few seconds to adjust to the brightness, and as my vision clears I see Caleb's outstretched hand above me.

"I don't need your help." I snap at Caleb angrily. I step on the first rung and hoist myself up to another rung, trying to show off by skipping a few. Bad idea. My foot slips off the rung and my whole body falls backwards. Before I even have time to close my eyes and prepare for impact, Caleb is above me, his hand grabbing at my arm, pulling me up above ground.

"I said I don't need your help." I hiss at him, receiving only an eye roll from him. "If that ladder was there the whole time then why did you push me down here in the first place? If you had just let me climb down it would've been much safer."

"When you're falling, you feel free, even if it's just for a moment."

I roll my eyes, trying to cover up my surprise at his wisdom. How could somebody so young be so wise? And how does he manage to keep his cool when I know I must be the worst person to get stuck babysitting.

Caleb takes me to a small house, in much better shape than the other huts.

"Make yourself comfortable. This is where you'll be staying for the next week."

"The next week? How long do you think you can keep me here? I have a city to take care of, a family waiting for me back at the palace, and I don't know if you noticed, but I'm engaged!" I exclaim, waving my hand in his face to show off my ring. Caleb looks surprised, almost disappointed, the first reaction I've gotten from him all day. "Oh surprised are we? Maybe the next time you decide to abduct somebody you should make sure it's not on the day of their engagement party!" I yell at Caleb, letting out all the anger that's been bottled up inside of me.

Before I can say another word Caleb's lips crash into mine, and for the second time, I melt into the kiss. For some reason it just feels right. Then the moment ends. Caleb pulls away from me, leaving me stunned, and then he pushes me roughly inside.

"You'll be sleeping there." Caleb gestures to a bed on the far right wall. "This is your roommate Reyna. She'll make sure you stay out of trouble." I look to the left and see a dark skinned girl about my age with beautiful chocolate curls. I wave at her and she smiles back. Caleb leaves quickly, and I run to catch up to him.

"So why'd you kiss me that time?"

"Same as last time. How else could I shut you up?" Caleb grins widely and winks at me as he turns to head back the way we came. I watch him as he walks away and then head back inside, only to collapse on my bed in exhaustion.

That stupid grin gets me every time.

Yay another update! I've been doing a lot of writing lately so I hope you're all ready for frequent updates! As you can see I'm trying to pick a new cover for my book so bear with me please! Thanks for over 100 reads and 50 votes! I hope you're all enjoying this so far. If you are feel free to add it to your reading list so you get notifications when I update! Remember to follow, vote, and comment! Happy Reading!

xoxo

b0wlofcherries

PS Alexis_Archer ships Caleb and Rose. Anyone else? Comment some ship names and I'll pick one!