Chapter 35: Swiss Cheese And Dalai Lama.

Twenty minutes in and we were still en route to the mall. We sat in silence for the most part of the ride, other than a couple of short conversations, always initiated by yours truly, here and there.

"What's a tìo?" I asked, recalling the word Claire had used when she was reenacting the entire Alexander and Mr Ramirez scene.

He took his eyes off of the road for a split second and made eye contact. He was quick to break it to focus on the road again. "It's Spanish for Uncle."

"Oh." I uttered. "Makes sense."

Of course it makes sense you dipshit. He was talking to his uncle, of course it meant uncle. What did you think it meant? Sunflower seeds?

"You speak Spanish?"

"Well my dad is from Spain." He replied.

Kill yourself Ria.

"My dad hates it when I speak in English at home, so we usually communicate in Spanish because it's his native tongue and he doesn't want me to forget it."

Did I just call myself Ria???

"Even though I'm not a Spaniard one hundred percent, he treats me like it."

"What do you mean?" I questioned. "You mixed race or something?"

"My mum's Palestinian." He explained. "But I can't speak Arabic for shit."

I chuckled at his response.

At least he's bilingual, I can barely speak English without stuttering.

"What about your siblings?" I asked him.

"Ain't got none." Came his reply.

"Saaaaame."

"I guess we have more in common than I thought." He noted.

My hand subconsciously found it's way to the sound system of his car and turned on the radio. Once I did, 'Work' by Rihanna was blasting through the speakers. "Ayy, this is my jam!" I yelled, beginning to dance in the passenger's seat.

"This song is so overrated. Do you even know what she's saying?" He asked, not looking away from the road.

Just to prove a point, I began to sing along quite loudly. "IF I GET ANOTHER CHANCE TO! I WILL NEVER, NO NEVER NEGLECT YOU! I MEAN, WHO AM I TO HOLD YOUR PAST AGAINST YOU?!"

"Okay, okay. I get it." He said, clearly defeated by my awesomeness.

"WHAT CAN I SAY?! PLEASE RECOGNISE I'M TRYIN' BABY!!"

"You can stop that now." He said, now looking at me every few seconds, clearly trying to suppress the smile forming on his lips.

"WORK WORK WORK WORK WORK WORK, youseembdklajwbdb WORK WORK WORK WORK WORK WORK, youseemedomsjka.."

"Fluent gibberish right there, you don't even know the lyrics!" He pointed out. He then stretched his arm out towards me and began poking my temple.

"OKAY, YOUUUU NEEEEEED TOOOOO GET DOOOOONE DON... What are you doing?" I asked, swatting his hand away from me.

"Looking for the off button." He bluntly replied.

Needless to say, he was rubbing his right arm every few minutes until we reached our destination.

***

"My arm's still sore, thanks for asking."

We were looking through racks of clothing when he brought up the arm I had punched for what must've been the twentieth time in the past half hour.