Scents

I blinked, but the man never made it to me. Kane had a fist locked around his throat, and a snarl on his face.

"Austin, I know how she smells but you have to calm down."

Kane's voice was steel, and the command was a physical thing in the room. Austin's muscles bulged as he fought the order, but eventually his red face started to relax and Kane cautiously dropped his hand.

Austin swallowed a few times, but resisted the urge to rub his neck as I would have done.

"Boss, what the fuck is going on?"

"Cassie has begun her change as I'm sure you can tell."

"I've never smelled anything like that..." Austin gulped. He was edging toward me, and I didn't think it was a conscious movement.

I resisted the urge to jump up and go hide in the bathroom. One I was treating him like a rabid bear (no sudden movements). Two I still had my pride (as tiny as it was).

"Yes, neither have I. We have a very unique situation on our hands it seems."

Kane was clearly deep in thought. It seemed he was now trusting this Austin fellow to keep his distance but I wasn't so sure about him.

His eyes still hadn't left me from the time he walked in. I wasn't sure what my role here was. So maybe I was a werewolf. That didn't mean I needed to stay here indefinitely. Surely this pheromone shit wouldn't affect regular humans. Though, that could be interesting. I smiled to myself thinking about Aidan as my insides warmed.

Kane's head whipped around and a low growl issued out of his throat. The hair on my arms stood up.

"Cassie. What are you thinking about?"

"Excuse me?"

I tried not to blush, but I could feel my face heating. Surely Kane couldn't tell I was having dirty thoughts about Aidan because that would be mortifying.

I looked over at Austin for help. Kane followed my eyes and he rose slowly. Once he was standing the chaos started.

Before I knew it Kane had Austin thrown up against the wall. The force causing plaster to rain down around them. Austin's face was bloodless.

Kane was snarling, and pulling back for a punch. As fast as I could I yanked Kane's arm back, but couldn't pull him away from Austin completely.

"What the hell is going on!?"

"Tell him you weren't thinking about me," Austin managed to squeak out between shallow breaths.

This was the second time in thirty minutes Kane had the poor guy by the throat.

"Kane seriously calm down. I don't even know this guy."

I still wasn't quite caught up on what was happening but Austin seemed to understand what Kane's problem was.

"He doesn't believe you," it was true.

Kane hadn't let up and I was pretty sure the only thing keeping Austin's face intact was my death grip on his arm.

"Kane really let the man go."

"Cassie I smelled your desire. You looked at him."

I could barely understand his words the growling was so thick. I tried and failed not to be embarrassed at the fact that my 'desire' as he put it was detectable.