Chapter 10

Dropping into one of the back seats in one of the dozen identical classrooms that made up most of the studies wing of the school, Kallai eagerly spread her books out in front of her. Science was easily one of her favourite classes, one of the few each year they took that didn’t require magic. And with the basics done, Magi Jedael had said they were going to start on how to prepare potions, rare herbs, and the other, more complex components necessary for the advanced magics. Kallai didn’t have any illusions about the components helping her use magic better, but if she could become god at preparing them, she hoped she might be of some use to other Magi, especially those who had difficulty with it. She might even be able to make a respectable living at it, and still technically be a Magi. At least, that’s what she hoped.

            Footsteps and the rustle of cloth had Kallai jerking to stare beside her. Her black hair tightly braided down her back, her brown eyes crinkled up into a smile, Rachine dropped down onto the bench, only inches from Kallai. A creak from the other side announced the arrival of Rachine’s shadow, Laji, who took the seat on Kallai’s other side.

            Kallai felt sweat break out all over her as her body went from normal to on fire in seconds. The only cold spot on her was her face, her blood already draining from it. She swallowed hard, her eyes going to the books in front of her, trying not to look to either side, but knowing it didn’t really matter if she did.

            “Hello, Spellless,” Rachine said, voice sweet, kind, and as fake as the illusions they practiced while still in Pink.

            Hunching her shoulders up so she took up even less space, Kallai said nothing, using her hair as a veil between her and the other girls. She could only hope Magi Jedael started class soon, knowing the girls wouldn’t do more than talk when they could so easily get caught.

            “I don’t think she wants to talk to us,” Laji said, trying to sound shocked despite the smile on her face.

            “But we’ve known each other for so long, we’re practically friends,” Rachine said, smirking. “Ever since we were all in Black together. Of course, back then, everyone still thought you had real magic. You’re a Magan, a family full of powerful Magi, unlike our families. But it turns out even good breeding couldn’t help you with the degree of failure you are. But don’t worry, we’re here to help. We’ll make sure you’re where you belong.”

            Before Kallai could react properly, two hands grabbed fistfuls of her robes and yanked backwards. She fell backwards, unable to stop herself, her knees still caught by where they lay against the bench. She yelped as her shoulders hit the hard stone floor, her head narrowly missing a similar fate. She could already tell she’d have more bruises to add the collection that was never completely gone, come morning.

            The faces nearest them swivelled to stare at the sound of her voice, most turning away as soon as they identified Kallai. A few wore frowns, but most smiled, or merely shrugged, turning their attention back to what they’d been doing before.

            “Oh no,” Laji said in mock horror. “Spellless has fallen.”

            “Well then,” Rachine replied, tapping one finger against her mouth. “We’d better help her up then.”

            Kallai didn’t have a chance to struggle up before hands grabbed her upper arms, nails digging into her as they hauled her back upright. She did her best not to react to the added pain, thought tears did sting the corners of her eyes. The hands tightened on her, making Kallai bite her lip, but the smart rap of pointer against blackboard drew their attention to the front of the room and Magi Jedael.

            The two on either side of her released Kallai, but didn’t move any further than that. She sucked in one ragged breath and moved her arms in close to her body, trying to shrink in on herself to present less of a target, even as she opened her notebook.

            “Now that we have progressed beyond the mere identification and basic uses of most herbs and other components, we’ll begin learning how to combine them. For those of you who don’t like getting dirty, you won’t enjoy this,” Magi Jedael said, pacing in front of the chalkboard. “We’ll begin with simple grinding of powder before we combine them into potions and tinctures. All of you will require mortars and pestles. Grab them as you will.”

            Here their teacher gestured to the small stone implements that were piled on the desk beside him. Within seconds, the pile began disappearing, as student after student practiced their spatial magic and transported the tools to them.

            Kallai could feel herself flush as she realized what she’d have to do. Rachine and Laji noticed too. “Aww,” said Rachine as she finished the last gesture and word of her spell. The mortar she’d targeted landed with a clatter onto the wood in front of her. “What are you going to do? You’re not going to walk down there and get one, are you?”

            “This is Spellless,” Laji said, face shiny with sweat as her own mortar dropped with a crash onto the desk. “How else is she going to get it?”

            “Maybe if she asks us really, really nicely, we’ll think about getting hers for her,” Rachine said, a smile spreading slowly across her face.

            Knowing how this would end either way, Kallai carefully stood, trying to keep her head down. She still stumbled when Rachine shoved the bench at her ankles. While they giggled, Kallai slunk down to the stairs, knowing stares and laughter were going to follow her as the only person who couldn’t even manage a simple transport spell from one end of the classroom to the other.