Epilogue

"How fares your coven?"

Reginald rose from his knees and faced his king. King Saenar sat poised in his throne, the crown sitting snugly on his head as he stared fondly at the vampire coven leader.

"Problems have dwindled, Your Majesty," Reginald answered respectfully. "My men are hard at work trying to regain the trust of the common people. There have been no incidences this year and the people seem to be changing their opinions of us."

"And what of Lute?"

"He is of the same report, Your Majesty, although he and his people tend to keep to themselves for the most part."

"So all in all, everything is good."

Reginald finally smiled. "Yes, Your Majesty. All in all, everything is good."

Saenar smiled in return. Six years after the attack on the castle and the vampires were finally beginning to be accepted. It has a been rough road for them, introducing them to the common folks, putting in place laws that secured their freedom and protection, and giving them the same rights as others. They were outcasts for way too long, but Reginald's report gave him hope. One day, they would be one with everyone else. He knew it.

Reginald didn't stay long and neither did King Saenar. As soon as the vampire left, he removed the heavy crown and rose to his feet. He dismissed his council then turned to Barron who was leaning lazily against this throne.

"Straighten up, man," Saenar commanded lightly. Barron just grunted lowly, half asleep.

"Allow me some rest, Your Majesty," Barron grumbled. "The child had me up all night. I didn't get any sleep at all."

Saenar chuckled. "How is Merelda?"

"A feisty one, that she is. Just like her mother." Barron sighed again and opened his eyes groggily. "I don't know how I'm going to manage when the next one comes along. The royal medic man thinks it may be a boy."

"Do you need me to give you leave?"

"It will surely keep my head on my shoulders, Your Majesty. And Madeline says she needs me during the last trimester."

"Then by all means, Sir Barron, run to your wife and daughter then. Take care of my little sister."

Barron straightened up on a grin. "Yes, Your Majesty." Before turning to leave, he said, "By the way, I think Queen Mynera is in the gardens."

Saenar couldn't help smiling at the sound of her name. He watched the man who was - as odd as it sounded - the father of his stepsister of two years. He could vouch for her tyranny, the little girl with blond curls was a terror in a dress. His prayers went out to Barron.

Turning away, Saenar's smile never dimmed. He made his way to the castle gardens and, soon enough, he spotted his wife sitting on a bench, watching his children play.

For a while, he just stood there and stared at her. Her pale green dress was beautifully made, forming her frame and making her look even brighter in the day's sun. Her hair blew back from her face, exposing the wide smile she boasted as she watched her three year old son play with their one and a half year old daughter. Both children giggled uncontrollably, even when the daughter fell over from unstable legs. It made Mynera smile even more and his heart warmed at the sight.

After the battle on the castle, the days were bleak. He sat on the throne, the Nations tried their best to rebuild themselves with hope that things will get better after King Gavin's horrible reign, but the air in the castle was still somber. Lord Hale Naiger was immediately tried and locked up for his attempt on Saenar's life and almost taking Mynera's. He was wasting away in the dungeons to this very day.

Mynera had been in a sorry state. She battled valiantly for her life, asleep for half a year. The priestesses came from Arcadia to help, he gathered all the doctors he could find, but even when her wound was tended to and was healing well, she still never opened her eyes. Madeline and Barron put off their wedding, saying they wouldn't have it until Mynera was well enough to be there.

And for days that stretched into months, Saenar rarely left her side. He left the running of the Nations to Madeline while he remained cooped up in his bedchambers, holding Mynera's hand. When the day she finally opened her eyes came, Saenar could scarcely believe it. She was still too weak, but she smiled, and that smile gave him light in the darkness he sat within.

Now, five and a half years later, the Nations have never been better, she bore him a son and a daughter, and they were living in marital bliss.

"Are you going to stand there all day?"

Saenar jolted out of his memories at the sound of Mynera's voice. Smiling, he went to sit beside her. "Did you meet with Reginald?" she asked as soon as he was seated.

"He says everything is looking well."

"That's great. I wondered if my judgment had been false for a second there."

"'Tis as sharp as ever, my queen." He clasped her hand and kissed her on the cheek. She sighed into him, resting her jaw on his shoulder.

"They look beautiful, don't they?" she said after a while. Saenar wrapped his arm around her, staring at his children as they played.

"They do. Just like their mother."

Mynera laughed. "Marlin is as handsome and brave as his daddy."

"And Sariel will be as gorgeous and as strong as her mommy."

"Remember the day we first met?"

Saenar chuckled at the recollection. "How could I forget? I was being so rude to you and I was so surprised when you snapped back."

"I hated you back then," Mynera giggled. "You were callous, rude and you showed me no interest whatsoever."

"Remember when I gave you that flower in the garden? The rose to show to your father? I could have sworn you would throw it right back into my face."

"I was tempted to, darling. Father had asked me to take you to show you the flower I loved but it ended on an entirely different note."

"I never did find out what your favourite flower was, my queen."

"'Tis the white lily, darling."

At the revelation, Saenar sighed with a smile. Mynera snuggled in closer. "Quite befitting of you, my love."

"We went through so much, don't you think? All that pain because of one overambitious man."

"Look on the bright said of such pain, my dear. We would never be here like this if weren't for all that."

"That's the beauty of it. I love you, Saenar."

"I love you too, Mynera." He kissed her. "Forever and always."

Mynera smiled even wider. Forever and always.

--

Finally, we're finished! Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed the book.

Book Two will begin shortly (I don't know how short lol) and it will still take place in the Nations. However, Book Two will centre around a different character, a different conflict, in a different time.

Meanwhile, you guys can check out my other books if you liked my writing :) Thank you all for finishing the book and I hope you enjoy the rest of my works.

--

If you would like to get updates on the writing process, editing, future and current projects, or to just talk with me and other readers who enjoyed this story, you can join my discord server! The link is in my pinned announcement on my profile!