Chapter 40

Kat
May 21, 2005

*

Same day

*

I hesitate, turning the knob to Nate's house slowly.  I have the key ready in my other hand, but the door opens easily. 

They are either stupidly trusting, forgetful or someone is here.  Hopefully they are just forgetful.

I slip off my shoes, carrying them as I sprint as quietly as possible to Ben's room with socked feet.  I breathe a sigh of relief once I gently close Ben's door.  Hopefully it's that easy to leave. 

It feels strange in here. There's absolutely no noise, not even the TV was left on. There's always shouting or laughter filling this house. 

It's almost eerie, like the rapture happened and I wasn't taken.  Not that I would be surprised, God's probably pretty disappointed in me lately.

I know my dad would be, if he knew the real me.  If he ever found out, it wouldn't surprise me if he disowned me.  I can hear his disapproving voice echoing inside my head. 

"People like you will never inherit the Kingdom of God, Katarina."

If only he wouldn't judge the real me. 

Aren't dads supposed to love you no matter what? 
Forgive your stupid mistakes? 
Not terrify you of the outside world?

Crap.  I got distracted.  I need to get my phone and get out.

I head straight for the jacket.  He barely has clothes lining one side of his massive walk-in closet.  What a waste.  I would kill to have this much space just for my clothes, not that I have that many, but this is almost the size of our dorm room. I could live in here.

His jackets are together on the end.  Just glancing at them, I count at least five.  The one I borrowed isn't here.  

Dang it.  He must have wore it.  Why didn't I think of that?

Surely he's found my phone by now.  Maybe he put it somewhere in his room!

I check his nightstand.  My eyes land on a picture frame with broken glass.  Is that what I knocked down?  It feels like so long ago.

There are two young boys looking back at me. Neither one looks happy to be in the picture, but they are still hugging each other affectionately.

Suddenly, it hits me.  The skinny one with curly brown hair must be a really young Ben.  And the other one is a husky redhead, could that be Nate?  I know they've been friends for a while, but they are so little here. 

I wonder what it would be like to have a friend that knew me that well.  Someone who would be by your side from start to finish. 

I think Ness is the best friend I've ever had and I hope we stay that way, even after college, but she doesn't know the me from before.  She doesn't know my dad or understand what I went through with my mom. 

I think-

My thoughts are cut short by the found of the front door opening.  Oh crap!