The One With The Three Quitters

Chapter Twenty Four: The One With The Three Quitters

Louis reached for a different bottle, opening up the cap and looking at the purple goo drip back into the bottle.

"I'll use this on the other hand." He informed, getting comfortable on the couch. He moved to lay down, while Harry laid crossed legged in front of him, hands laid out in between the two.

Harry smiled. "You did do a good job on the other one, surprisingly." He said, looking at his right hand, whose nails were painted glitter pink—Harry's request.

"Surprisingly?" Louis scoffed, starting on Harry's left pinky, painting it purple. He had his tongue out, a little, as he concentrated, trying his best not to paint around Harry's nails. (Harry told him it was okay, but whenever Louis touched the side of his nail, or smudged it a little, he would grab the nail polish remover and restart all over again) "I'm a master at this. This is my new hidden talent. I should start up a business."

Harry pouted at that, watching as Louis started on his ring finger. "I want you to only paint my nails." He said.

He chuckled. "I will if you stop moving." He said sharply, taking a cotton ball and dabbing the edges a little.

Silence fell, as Harry watched Louis happily, and Louis began on the middle finger.

"I've been thinking," Louis started, eyes still on the nail he was painting.

"You think? Surprise to me."

He gasped, then pouted. "Meanie." He chuckled. "I've been thinking—and, yes, I think," He rolled his eyes  then cleared his throat. "Maybe I should quit the tattoo shop?" For some reason, he was expecting Harry to splutter, and wonder, but all he did was raise his eyebrows and ask why.

"Well, I don't know, I've been thinking about it for a while. I've always thought about it, but never did it, because I don't even have a plan B." He sighed, pausing and looking at Harry. "I did journalism at University but you see how far that's gotten me. I don't even like journalism." Louis bit his lip, and did Harry's thumb. "The only reason I stayed, was because I had no other choice, but that's not how to live. I want to do something I actually enjoy."

Harry hummed. "What about art? You love that, and you're amazing."

"What am I gonna do with that? Going to study it might be too late, and—besides, all I do is sketches, small shit, nothing that I can actually get paid for."

"So? You can move onto bigger canvases, have bigger ideas."

Louis stayed quiet, looking at the finished hand as he moved back to sit on the couch, one leg tucked under him. "I don't know, I don't know. For now, though, I think I should quit. Before I regret it later."

Harry nodded in understanding, blowing on both his finger tips gently.

"They look good don't they?" Louis nodded towards them, putting the purple nail polish back into the pink makeup bag it was in.

"Pretty. I should—shit, I forgot to take my pills."

Louis frowned. "Pills?"

Harry was getting up already, walking to the bathroom that was downstairs, Louis following.

"Yeah, medication. If I don't take them, well," He shrugged, opening the medicine cabinet.