Chapter 24

Webber's P.O.V

"Hey, Ry?" Quinn questioned as we were all sitting around our table at lunch.

"Hmm?" Ryla looked up from her salad that she was just pushing around the plastic container. 

"Why is your brother calling me?" She held her phone up, Riker's name and number just above the answer and decline buttons. Ryla shrugged and looked back at her salad. 

"I don't know answer it..." She mumbled, leaning into me a little. I wrapped my arm around her and took a bite of my cookie. Quinn shrugged and answered the call. 

"Hello? Oh hey Riker... Why are you- what? Oh um I can't.. I could probably - oh yea I can come for that. Hmm? Oh sure- You got it. Okay uh see you." She hung up the phone and glanced at Ryla and I. 

"What did he need?" Ryla questioned. 

"Uh there is an album release party next week and they invited me to spend the night..." Quinn smiled nervously. I was about to question her when the bell went. 

"See you next period, Web, and see you tomorrow Quinn." Ryla stood up with her lunch tray and started towards her class. Quinn and I have this class together so hopefully I can get some in tell from her about that mysterious phone call. We walked through the halls and got to science, lucky for me it was experiment day. 

"All right students, pick your partner and pick a station." The chem teacher instructed. I glanced at Kyle, we'd usually be partners- me doing the work and him getting a good a grade. I rolled my eyes as he had now partnered with a very smart girl named Jenna, who wanted nothing more than to be popular. I turned to Quinn and we walked towards a station at the back of the room. We got our safety equipment on and gathered everything we needed for the experiment. It was mostly about seeing how different things react in different times. 

"So what was the call about?" I asked, setting up the first experiment- baking soda and vinegar. 

"Riker just needed my help, but since I'm unavailable at the time he needs me, you'll have to fill in."

"What? What does Riker need me for?"

"He doesn't need you directly, you just need to stay with Ryla after school till 6:00pm."

"Why?" 

"Cause they're setting up a surprise birthday party for her. Dump the vinegar in...now." I did as told and dumped the table spoon in. 

"When's her birthday?" I questioned, observing the reaction to put in my notes. 

"Today." I almost dropped the beaker in my hand.

"Why didn't she tell us?" I whispered. Quinn shrugged.

"Beats me."  

"I don't even have a gift for her!" I whined, writing my findings in my notebook. 

"I have to to pick up a gift before I head to the party,"

"Why can't you keep Ryla busy?" I questioned.

"I have violin practice today, and then I have to get her a card and stuff. I'll pick you a card up too and you can fill it out before you give it to her" Quinn explained. I nodded and we continued small talk. Now I just had to think of a way to keep Ryla away from her house. Throughout class I thought about various places I could take her, to a restaurant? She'd never wanna do that, to the lake? Too many bugs, beach? No swim suits... How about the mall? We could go window shopping and I could buy her dinner, That would also maybe give me an excuse to buy her a gift, something to show her what she means to me. I have it settled, to the mall we go- with a quick stop at my house. Science came to an end and I handed in Quinn and I's Lab report. I rushed to meet Ryla in the art room, it's her favorite class. I sat beside her and flashed her a smile.

"Alright class, today we'll be doing something a little different. We are going to be working with new people. I've observed you guys hanging out with the same people and I want everyone in the room to be friends, as it is a chilled room." I rolled my eyes slightly, this teacher is maybe a little too chilled. I glanced at Ryla an mouthed 'my locker after school' before heading over to the table with the boy who picks his nose and the girl who hadn't touched a single paint brush this whole year. 

"H-hey Webber, wanna use my paintbrushes?" The boy asked, upon me sitting down. 

"Uh thanks, but I uh have my own... I just have to uh grab a couple of them from my girlfriend." I quickly stood up and made my way to Ryla, I've seen where his hands have been. 

"Can I borrow a brush?" I whispered over her shoulder. She nodded and handed a few back. I kissed her cheek and returned to my seat. I'm not usually big on 'public display of affection' but she kinda just saved me. The class went by relatively quickly these guys are pretty cool. I'd probably talk to them again. The girl is actually quite friendly and the reason she doesn't touch anything is because she's a germ-a-phobe  and the boy who picks his nose... well he doesn't have an excuse. As said Ryla met me at my locker. 

"Hey babe," I smiled, 

"Hey," she smiled back, leaning against the locker. 

"So I was wondering, you wanna hang out tonight?" I asked with a puppy face. 

"I have to head home," she smiled sadly. 

"Awe, come on, Ry, be courageous!" I smiled, taking her hand, after I shut my locker. 

"I guess... let me text Riker." She smiled, awesome- Riker's bound to let her go. After waiting a few minutes we got an okay and we started towards my house. 

"Why are we going to your house?" She questioned. 

"I just have to get a snack set up for the girls," I explained, it was sort of a lie, I didn't HAVE to Weston would've made them one. We arrived at my house and both walked into the kitchen. 

"What are we making?" She asked, I thought for a second,

"Cheese cubes and crackers," Ryla nodded and started collecting the ingredient.

"Ry, I really have to use the restroom, I'll be back in a second." Ryla nodded and continued cubing the cheese. I raced up the stairs missing a few each stride.  I walked past the bathroom and into my room, I grabbed my wallet and emptied my piggy bank- no judging. I have probably 120$ I had been saving up since Christmas, you know for a rainy day- or in this case a day with my girl. I went back downstairs, after going into the bathroom so she wouldn't get suspicious.  I helped her finish off with the cheese cubes and placed them into small bowls with some crackers. I grabbed Ryla's hand and practically dragged her out of the house and towards the mall. This is going to be so much fun, just me and Ry....