Chapter Twenty

Author's Note:

I wasn't going to upload this early, but I felt bad for leaving you guys with a cliffhanger on the last episode. Honestly, whenever someone tells me I'm not nice, I'm going to tell them about this. ;)
ENJOY! :) 
(and cut Luke some slack, you guys, honestly :D)

xoxo,
Q.

I wake up to a consistent beeping and bright white lights. There is no confusion. I know exactly where I am. I groan.

Really? The hospital? Again?

I guess it’s no wonder. I feel my ribs ache in pain and my head is pounding like a drum.

I manage to force my eyes open, which takes more effort than it should, and blink a few times to make the image less blurry.

Emery is curled up in a chair next to me, his eyes softly closed and his breathing heavy. I can’t help but smile, despite the immense pain I’m feeling.

I stay silent, as I don’t want to wake him up. He’s barely sleeps as it is and who I am I to restrict him?

But as it turns out, despite me making absolutely no sound, he seems to be able to tell that I’ve woken up, because he gives a little start, moans quietly, and then rubs his eyes like a small child.

He abruptly sits up straight when he sees me watching him. “You’re awake.” He says, simply.

I nod, slowly. “Yeah.”

It’s uncomfortably awkward and we both know it, but at the same time, I really don’t want him to leave, which in turn, makes me feel incredibly pathetic.

“Why am I in here?” I ask, looking around at my surroundings.

Emery looks down at his hands. “You blacked out.”

“Why?” I ask, blinking and rubbing my eyes softly.

Emery still doesn’t look up, but he mumbles, “I think Bryce went kind of crazy.”

I sigh and let my head fall backwards. “Of course.” I say under my breath, more to myself than Emery.

“It was scary.” He says, quietly, glancing up at me, fearfully.

“Why am I in the hospital?” I ask.

“I called 911.” Emery says, his voice barely audible.

“What?” I exclaim. “Why?”

To my horror, Emery’s silver eyes begin to water and he chews down on his bottom lip in an effort to stop himself, but it doesn’t seem to be helping.

“You didn’t see yourself.” He chokes out. “You were bleeding so badly and…and I didn’t know what to do.”

“Shh, Emery, it’s okay.” I say, quickly, holding out my hand for him to take. He does and I squeeze it softly.

My heart aches more than the rest of me, and despite all the mixed feelings I’ve been having about Emery as of late, I never want to let go of his hand.

Unfortunately, right at that moment, the door swings open and I pull my hand back to my body, instinctively. The doctor walks in, followed by my teary-eyed mother.

Emery sits up straight and stares at the doctor, waiting for him to speak. The doctor notices him, and turns to my mother.

“Is he family?” he asks.