Chapter Fifty One: To Play The Gamemaster's Game

**

I love you.

Those are the three words Sebastian Harrison told me right before he fell asleep on me. "I love you," he said. That's it. No explanation, no reasoning, no retraction. Just those three words.

But I never knew three words could eat me up so badly inside.

I helped him to the bed, and he sleepily climbed on top of the covers and passed out. I stared at him before I left him be, and went through every possible meaning behind the three words besides what they actually mean:

"I love you...as a friend."

"I love you...playfully."

"I love you...because your body is like a pillow to me right now."

These suggestions all make sense. But to match up with how he said it? To pair with the reluctance in his voice before he even said the three words?

That, to me, doesn't make sense.

Cecil insisted we stay the night, given it was late when we had planned to leave, and Sebastian...well, we all knew what Sebastian's state was. I stayed in Cecil's room—Cecil staying with Eliza in her room, while Loretta shared a room with Roberta.

I lay in bed, staring at the ceiling in the humid dark with Cecil's pajamas sticking to the sweat on my skin. The crickets sound off outside; I can't sleep much, so I reflect on how I've been in several different beds these past weeks besides my own back in Los Angeles. I also think about how Sebastian is doing—whether or not he is still sleep or if he is throwing up his guts. What if he's thinking about me as much as I'm thinking about him? I ponder to myself. Does he remember what he said to me?

**

The next morning, I wait in the car while Loretta and Sebastian say their goodbyes to everyone. It's clear that Sebastian is hungover; he doesn't even hide the fact anymore. The moment his eyes hit the sun, he grimaces like he hates the world.

I decided to stay in the car. I don't feel it's in my right to be part of their farewell. They all have history—a connection. I'm just a small piece that brought them together. I thanked Cecil for her hospitality (and for washing and drying my clothes while I was sleep) before getting into the driver's seat.

After they say goodbye to each other, Loretta and Sebastian start walking to the car. When their inside, I feel myself tense up. I'm still contemplating whether or not I should tell Sebastian what he said.

"I feel like complete shit right now," Sebastian mumbles when he closes the door, flinching at the sound.

Loretta settles in the backseat. "Did Fiona tell you that Elizabeth just had her baby 'bout an hour ago?" she tells me. "Healthy baby girl."

"That's amazing," I reply, trying my hardest not to look at Sebastian or even think about him, either.

"Fiona asked if we could stop by the hospital."

"Sarah and Lucas might wonder why we've been M.I.A for almost an entire day," Sebastian says.

"I'll call them and make up an excuse. As long as you don't want them to know about any of this, I'll make sure to comply to that."

"OK. And by the way, how much did I drink last night?" Sebastian then asks.

Loretta laughs while buckling her seatbelt. "A lot."

"Yeah, the pain in my head and the rest of my body gave that away. The last thing I remember doing was dancing with Cecil—which, by the way, I wouldn't have done if I were so—"