The departure

That night, Ferry couldn't sleep. He could hear, again and again, Danny's voice, begging for help. He found himself getting dressed and then sneaking out of the window. 

The moon cast a soft light upon the streets, guiding his way. He left without knowing where to. But he decided he would stay away from the forest until the time would come. He needed the map, and he didn't have all the pieces yet.

Soon, he felt his feet taking him to May's house. He needed to talk to May that night. He couldn't have left without saying goodbye. The thought of going to the forbidden forest all by himself made him shiver. He had no idea what he would find there. What if it was the last time he would see May?

The streets were empty that late hour, yet the moon lit the surroundings as in the daytime. Far away, he could hear laughter and jolly songs, a sign that there were still people having a good time at the tavern.

He carried on to the side streets and in the blink of an eye, he was under May's balcony, throwing pebbles at her window. After a few minutes, May showed up in the balcony, rubbing her eyes. Her hair was ruffled, and she wore a blue nightgown with pink piggies. Her movements were soft and Ferry felt sorry for waking her up that suddenly. Yet, he could read both wonder and joy on her face at his sight.

"Ferry, what are you doing here?" she whispered.

"I had to see you, May," he said without even breathing. "I needed to ─ I need the drawing I gave you on Christmas," he mumbled.

May seemed a little confused. "All right... then come up!"

In a blink of an eye, Ferry climbed the thick stalks of the climbing plants that were embracing May's house. May tidied up her hair, then sat on the small bench on her balcony.

"Where have you been, May? I've been looking for you all day," the boy said after a few moments of silence.

May turned sad. "I've been to the Big City..."

"Why?" Ferry wondered.

The little girl kept gaze to the ground. "My parents... Their business isn't going well. But please, don't ask me anything else..."

A thought crossed Ferry's mind. And a twinge stung his heart. "You're not moving away, are you?"

May shook her head, "No. At least, I don't think so..."

Ferry wanted to say something else but couldn't find his words. He sat on the other side of the bench and they both watched the night sky. The moon smiled, wrapping them with white, soft light like a cozy, warm coat on a stormy night.

"Why do you need the drawing?" the girl eventually asked, looking at him with her big eyes which never ceased to wonder.

"Ben has a theory that the drawings are all part of a map."

"I'm surprised it isn't a theory about aliens this time," she smiled. But then she turned serious, "Do you really want to go? Aren't you afraid?" she asked.

"I have to," he said, looking at the moon so she won't see the fear in his eyes.

Then, the silence settled again. The night was bright and quiet. No wind's blow. No sound. Only two children and the moon. For a while, they just stood there, dangling their feet, sitting on the wooden bench and making it screak like a song.

Then May jumped on her feet. "Wait here," she said before going in. After a while, she came back, holding Ferry's drawing.

"When you come back from the forest, I want it back," she said, giving it to him.

Ferry forced a smile. He should have been home a long time ago. Somewhere, far away, the first spears of light were piercing the sky. Yet, he couldn't leave. Not yet. He noticed May was hiding something behind. Eventually, she revealed an old handkerchief which she carefully unfolded. It was the old comb from her grandmother.