16: Facing Your Demons

DAMN. This chapter man. What have you guys done? I've written more chapters in the past week than I have in a year.

This one is pretty intense. It was inevitable though, so I hope you enjoy it as predictable as it was.

Keep reviewing! I love hearing from you guys!

~Caruscus

---------------------------------------------

Tris and I eat breakfast quietly while Christina and Will seem nearly unable to contain their excitement. They don't come from the same homes as us. They have a right to be excited.

When we get back to the dorms most of the other initiates are already ready for their families. They're dressed in their dauntless clothing, and some are even smiling and laughing with one another. They usually ignore each other.

"So are you guys coming to wait with us in the Pit?" Will asks, picking a piece of lint off his shirt.

I sit cross legged on my bed. "You guys go ahead. I'll catch up later."

"Stay with the others." Tobias's voice reminds me.

I'm fine. I'm in the dorms alone, not the Pit. If he does even come, I doubt he knows where the dorms are located.

Will and Christina leave but Tris stays. She stands beside her bed, deep in thought.

"What's up Tris?" I ask quietly.

She looks startled, as if she didn't know I was there. That's odd.

"A lot has been going on lately, Crys."

"Like what?"

She grimaces while slowly lowering herself to sit on her bed. Her eyes dart around the room, almost like she's checking to make sure we're alone. There are two transfers using the bathroom, but other than that we're by ourselves.

"There's something brewing."

I frown. "What do you mean?"

Her eyes flicker to the transfers at the back of the room. After a minute they leave the bathroom and exit the dorm. Now we're completely alone.

"Something isn't right here at dauntless. Well, not just dauntless actually."

I get up and sit by her on her bed. "Tris, you're freaking me out. Tell me what's happening."

She shook her head. "I don't know what's going on, otherwise I would tell you. I just know that it's wrong. All of this is wrong."

My eyebrows knit together. "All of what's wrong? What's going on?"

She opens her mouth to speak, but Christina pokes her head over the railing of the steps. Her face gets a suspicious look on it. "You two weren't sharing secrets were you?"

Tris has a deer-in-the-headlights look, and I just feel surprised that we didn't hear Christina coming.

Christina laughs. "I'm kidding. Tris, your mom is here." Then she bounds back up the stairs.

Tris turns to me, flabbergasted. "Guess you need to pay attention to your surroundings more." I tell her.

She cracks a grin and then takes my hand in hers. "Come with me."

I start to pull my hand away. "I don't think that's a good ide-"

"Please? You know my mom likes you."