chapter 3

Phil sat at one of the tables in the small coffee shop near his college. He carefully blew on his hot chocolate before taking a small sip. Unfortunately, his cautiousness didn't pay off, as the drink was still burning hot. The shock of misjudging the temperature of the scalding liquid caused the raven-haired boy to let out a small yelp. The hot chocolate moved dangerously close to the opening in the lid of the cup.

"Phil? Are you alright?" Tyler asked from behind the cash register. Although, he didn't attend the college, he worked at the coffee shop to earn a little bit of cash. The shop usually didn't get any customers, except for Phil, who was a regular. 

"Yeah, it was just a bit hotter than I thought. I think I may have burned off a few of my taste buds, though." Phil chuckled. It wasn't unusual for Phil to have casual conversations with the workers. Since he had gone to the coffee shop so many times, he was friends with all of the staff. He recalled Lauren joking about how the coffee shop probably would've gone out of business if it wasn't for Phil's cravings for hot chocolate and caffeine. 

"Shall we hold a funeral for them?" Tyler grinned at Phil before turning to greet the customer at the door. Phil rolled his eyes, smiling. He warily finished his hot chocolate before waving goodbye to the staff and making his way back to his dorm. It wasn't until a few minutes of walking when something began to play in the back of his head. Phil could recognize the style from anywhere. Muse. The 19-year-old could barely contain his excitement. After 4 years with no sign of a soulmate, Phil had finally heard from them. 

****

The whole room seemed to be holding its breath, all of their eyes trained on Dan. After five minutes with nothing but silence, Dan sighed. I knew this would happen. Of course, who was I kidding? Why would I, a pathetic excuse for a human being, be given someone to love. Someone to share the rest of my life with. No big deal, my friends will be getting married and I'll be forever alone, just like I expected. I shouldn't be surprised. A sudden buzzing noise in the back of his head put an end to his dark thoughts. It was almost like there was a mini radio in the back of Dan's head. After buzzing a little, as if to get a signal, it began to play Muse. It was like a soft humming noise, not loud enough for Dan to be unable to think, but not quiet enough that he couldn't make out the melody. He broke out into a smile. 

"I heard something," Dan grinned. He has the same music taste as me! Wait, did I just say he? Jesus Christ Dan! It hasn't even been a minute from getting a signal from your soulmate and you're already assuming their gender. Whatever, what matters is that I heard from them! Maybe I won't be as alone as I thought I would be. The room erupted with cheers. After taking a few moments to calm everyone down, Dan's parents explained what would happen next, "You may all say something to Dan before enjoying the celebration! Feel free to help yourself to a piece of cake or a slice of pizza." 

Many "congratulations" were directed towards Dan, usually followed by a hug or a pat on the back. Once everyone was eating pizza or cake, Dan retreated back to the guest room to talk with Louise and Chris. 

Once they were alone, Louise tackled Dan into a hug. "Louise! Let the boy breathe!" Chris laughed.

"My little boy just got married!" Louise pretended to wipe tears out of her eyes, letting go of Dan.

Dan rolled his eyes, "I don't even know if I'll actually meet them, and plus they probably won't even like me!"

"You're actually kidding, right? They have to like you! It's basically fate." Chris nudged Dan, "Also, Louise and I have agreed to help you find your soulmate."

Dan's eyes brightened, "Really? You'd do that for me?" 

"Of course! What kinds of friends would we be if we didn't?" Louise smiled warmly.

"I just want to say that when we find them, you better not do the nasty when I'm over. Also, if you invite me to come with you guys somewhere don't make out the entire time. I will not be third-wheeled again!" Chris turned to shoot Louise a look.

"That was one time! And plus, we weren't even making out, it was like one kiss!" Louise rolled her eyes exasperatedly. 

The group of friends stayed like that, laughing and teasing each other for the rest of the night. Of course, they got interrupted a few times so Dan could say goodbye to his relatives. 

His parents allowed Chris and Louise to stay over, which gave the three an opportunity to plan where they would start looking for Dan's soulmate. After sorting out the locations, Dan couldn't have been more excited to start looking. He tried his best to sleep that night, but thoughts kept flooding his mind. However, that night they weren't the dark thoughts that usually sent him to sleep crying. These were bright and optimistic thoughts for the future. Dan decided that he could get used to these kinds of thoughts.

*****

author's note // okay I'm not even sure about the age differences and such but I guess it doesn't matter since it's fictional?? just to clarify (in this phanfic), dan is 15, phil is 19, chris is 15, tyler is 17, louise is 17, and tyler lives in europe.