Chapter Twelve

Photo is your first look at Missy!

Friday.

Belle sat at the back of Mr. Reynolds class, not really concentrating on anything but mostly staring out the window. Next to her Missy was bragging about her beautiful dress she was wearing to the dance and how hard it was to choose between the three guys who asked her to go.

"Mr. Reynolds?" Missy asked suddenly.

"Yes, Missy?"

"I hope you'll save me a dance."

"You know that's not allowed, school policy and all."

Missy made a pouty face and if Alex noticed he didn't comment, he was standing at the front of the class reading papers and he glanced up once. His eyes met Belles across the room but she looked away first, turning her attention back to the yard outside. Her heart was pounding so hard it was painful and difficult to breath, when the bell ran from the class as fast as her feet would take her.

She reached her locker and was spinning the combination lock when she heard Missy and her crew walking down the hall.

"I know he secretly wants to dance with me, he practically said he would if it wasn't for the rules," Missy said.

"He's so into you Missy," One of her friends replied.

Belle closed her eyes and tried to take a deep breath, Missy paused at her locker which was near Belles and her friends all gathered around her.

"I think tomorrow is the night, he's going to make his move."

"Really? You think?" a guy asked.

"Anyone can see the way we dance around each other and how he looks at me. I just need to get him alone and I know he'll make a move."

"He could get fired," A girl pointed out.

"Please, only if we get caught and Mr. Reynolds can be discreet."

Missy slammed her locker closed just as Belle was closing hers.

"Are you coming to the dance?" Missy asked.

"I.....I don't know,"Belle said softly, clutching her books to her chest.

"I have some old hand dresses from dances before, if you want one." Missy said.

Belle knew she wasn't offering because she cared, or to be nice but to prove to her friends and to Belle that she was a higher class.

"No, that's okay..."Belle said.

"They probably wouldn't fit anyway," Missy said harshly.

Belle winced and shifted from one foot to the other but didn't reply or lift her head. Missy finally had enough and brushed passed Belle purposely pushing her into her locker as she went by.

Belle waited until she was sure that Missy and her friends had all left in their fancy cars before walking into the parking lot and heading home.

When she walked in the door and dropped her books on the small table Jade came into the living room, Jade had taken time off work. She told Belle's father it was a lay off but it was so she could try and find an apartment somewhere else.

"Hey, how was school?" Jade asked.

"Okay," Belle shrugged.

"I know that look, did something happen with Alex?" Jade guessed.

"No, Missy....she....she's going to the dance."

"Do you want to go to this dance?" Jade asked, hands on her narrow hips.