EIGHT

❝A sad soul can kill you quicker than any germ can

❝A sad soul can kill you quicker than any germ can.❞

I GOT IN the police car, not even bothering to ask them any questions

I GOT IN the police car, not even bothering to ask them any questions. I was too tired and hungover, and if they found out I've been drinking, I'll be the one in jail. 

We pulled up to the police station and the police officer opened the door for me. "Seems odd that you're quiet today. You're usually up to no good, Reid." 

I rolled my eyes. "Just tell me what's wrong with my dad." 

An expression that I couldn't quite pinpoint washed over the officer's face as he took me inside the police station. I've been here plenty of times before. The police officer stood in front of me. "You may want to sit down for this, Naomi." 

I furrowed my eyebrows, but sat down. The only thing I could really focus on at the moment was my massive migraine. I shouldn't have drunk that many bottles of whiskey.  

"Naomi, your father died in his car. Someone shot him. We don't know who yet, but we're trying to figure out everything we can." The police officer explained with a solemn look on his face. 

I froze. My whole face froze, my body froze. It felt like someone completely numbed me, and the only way I knew I wasn't numb was from the pounding headache I had and the loud beating of my heart. It was beating tremendously fast, and I thought I was going to pass out any second. 

Do you know that sound after a gun shot? Where you feel this ringing in your ears and everything seems to be going in slow motion? And then when it all comes back to you, it's just quiet. And the only sound you can make out is the beating of your heart and your own thoughts screaming inside of your mind. 

Screaming at you to wake up. 

But, this isn't a dream. 

I don't cry. I never cry. Like I said, I don't even remember the last time I shed a tear. I didn't even cry when my mom died. I felt so numb. The same feeling I feel right now. 

But, the worst thing of all is when the flashbacks run into your brain. 

//