015

Fifteen | Dagger and Dine

I walked through the woods with a bag over my shoulder holding a few rolls of paper that Jenna had made me get from the Gilbert residence. I came to a halt when I saw Elijah and Jenna in the distance.

"The old Fell property actually starts just beyond that fence." Jenna pointed infront of them.

"Ah, the Fells. One of the Founding Families." Elijah replied.

"Why do you say it like that?" Jenna asked.

"My research showed me that this area was actually settled almost two full centuries earlier. It was a migration of townsfolk from the northeast, um, it was Salem, to be precise." Elijah replied. I carried on walking towards them.

"Massachusetts? As in the witch trials?" Jenna asked.

Elijah nodded, "Which means the ever-lauded founding families... didn't actually found anything."

I stopped behind them, "Wouldn't be degrading my family, would you?"

Elijah turned to face me, a surprised expression on his face. I gave him a small smile. Jenna grinned at me, "Hey, Cassie, thank you for coming."

"Cassie. Nice to see you again. What are you doing here?" Elijah asked, confused.

"Jenna asked me to help her, since Elena's not in town." I tapped the bag that held the papers that looked similar to hers. I glanced at Jenna, "I hope you don't mind, Jenna, but I invited Alaric."

On cue, Alaric stopped beside us. Jenna smiled, "Elijah, this is my friend, Alaric Saltzman."

"Yeah, Cassie said about walking Elijah here through the old property lines. I thought I would tag along." Alaric said, "You know being a history teacher and all. Where to next?"

"I'm pretty curious about the freed slave property owners. Some say, you know, the descendents of the slaves are the true keepers of American history." Elijah replied.

"Well, I only brought the surveys. I got that list in the car. Just give me a sec." Jenna left to get the list.

"Alaric Saltzman. So you're one of those people on Elena's list of loved ones to protect." Elijah said, moving closer to Alaric. I frowned in concern.

"So is Jenna." Alaric crossed his arms.

"You don't have to be jealous. I don't really pursue younger women." Elijah looked at me. I glanced at Alaric who didn't seem amused. Elijah patted Alaric's arm, "It's a joke, Ric, lighten up."

Elijah walked away. Alaric nodded, "Right."

I let out a laugh at Alaric's confused expression before the two of us walked to the Fell property.

▂▂▂▂

Alaric had left us halfway through the little historical tour. I listened to Jenna and Elijah talking about the towns history, which a lot of it I had lived through. At this point I was kind of bored but Elijah and I shared a joke or two, which felt slightly odd.

We were standing across from The Grill, "Maybe we should get some lunch."

"Yes, I'm starving." Jenna agreed. We headed across the road and into The Grill. I spotted Damon, Alaric and Andie sitting at one of the tables. We made our way over. Jenna greeted them, "Hey, guys."