Chapter 48

It is not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.~ Batman

Dedication: To kaileyxoxoxo, for all the amazing votes and comment! Thank you so much!

Dylan

People are odd. Often, they say one thing and mean another. Guys are girls are confusing to one another, but clear in their actions as to those of the same gender. That's why it's so hard for humans to connect, unlike other species. We don't understand each as easily. We have to work at it.

We have to work at understanding each other, and work at wanting to understand each other. Some things, we can do without wanting to. We can finish a job we didn't want to do simply out of obligation, rather than desire. But if a job, such as understanding your best friend, your lover, you brother, you mother, anything such as that, you have to work at it.

You have to put aside preconceived notions and really not judge. And as humans, that's hard. It's part of why so many teenagers just don't get along with their parents. Because their parents forget what it's like to be a teen, or the kid simply can't understand what it's like to be a parent, for obvious reasons.

So that's why waking up and finding a Post-It note stuck to my handle on my door was so odd. As usual, I was up pretty early, but not earlier than Siena, it seemed. I pulled the note off the door, which had a small and short message scrawled on it in Siena's messy handwriting.

Sorry about the fight. But I need some time to cool off. If we could just not talk, I'll tell you everything in a few days.

I sighed. I'd have preferred, I'm sorry, let's go back to being friends, but even the little that I knew of Siena told me that this was all that I was going to get. I was surprised I didn't get the full Ice Queen treatment that Alessia had gotten whenever she pissed off her sister. No, I think I had gotten the Demon from Hell treatment, a new one.

I stuck the Post-It note on my laptop and exited the bedroom, walking into the bathroom and slashing water onto my exhausted face in an attempt to wake me up. After I showered, I walked into the kitchen, but as I did, I snuck a glance inside Siena's room.

It was empty. I shook my head. She must have left the second she stuck the note on my door, tired of all the fighting and confrontation. I hadn't seen my best friend since yesterday. I know, that's weird, but we usually saw each other at least once a day, no matter what.

At least this note was proof that she was alive. She hadn't been answering any of my calls, or any of my text messages. And I knew she always had her phone on her, I couldn't remember a time when she didn't.

I shuffled into the kitchen and grabbed a mug, pouring myself a cup of coffee. Leaning against the counter, I caught a glimpse of my reflection in the reflection of the stove, and I winced. Siena had always defaulted to fixing my hair, and now that she wasn't here, it looked awful.

I ran a hand through my dark brown locks, but nothing changed, and I just gave up, trying not to fall asleep in my own coffee. Only 6 more months of school to get through. Yipee.

I took out a bag of dog food and poured it into a bowl, as well as some water, leaving ti for Charlotte when she decided to wake up and eat.

I dumped the last dregs of my coffee down the drain and stuck the cup in the sink, promising myself silently that I would do the dishes when I got back. I swung my bag over my shoulders and made my way downstairs, pushing the lobby button on the elevator. If Siena was here, we took the stairs, for obvious reasons.

I walked out of my apartment and was hit with the chill instantly. It was the last day of January, and February was right around the corner, but it was still as chilling as ever. I quickly clambered into my car, so I wouldn't be frozen instantly by the cold, and hurriedly started the heat, trying to keep my body heat from dropping too low.