I Believe In You - Bucky Barnes & Reader

Words: 1027
Pairing: Bucky Barnes & Reader
Warnings: swearing, winter soldier mode, fighting, broken bones, guns
Requested by anon
Summary: Bucky is still struggling with the effects of The Winter Solider and HYDRA. Luckily, you're there to help him through it.
Author's Note: Kinda like how Nat was able to get through the Bruce as Hulk, we have Y/N and Bucky B)

*Edited*

---

"I'm just scared I'll turn to the-"

"You won't," You told Bucky, your hand on his shoulder, "I believe you can control it."

"Thanks, you always seem to have hope," Bucky chuckled a bit; this was a regular conversation between you and your best friend.

Bucky was always wary of joining the team; he was afraid he would freak out and hurt the wrong people. And the first time he went on a mission as an Avenger, he did Winter Soldier out. He was knocked out, though, which stopped him.

And after he almost killed you, you needed to find a way to stop him quickly. Natasha learned to calm Hulk down; you figured out how to calm Bucky. It took much trial and error to see what regular Bucky knew and loved to see what would transfer over to Winter Soldier Bucky. But once you figured out that your voice could stop him, he wasn't scared to go out on the field anymore.

That was, until you were injured in a fight.

"I'll kill him; I'll kill him!" Bucky shouted as you grabbed your leg, which was now probably broken.

"Just get me back to the jet, then get what we came for and get us out of here!" You groaned, barely moving because of how much pain you were in.

The team sent you two on a mission alone because it was supposed to be an easy one, and you were just meant to get information from the HYDRA base that wasn't heavily guarded. But as it turns out, HYDRA knew about the mission and stocked up said base with many agents, ready to take on anyone who came near.

They got you by surprise. Two men were coming at you, and a few were shooting. They were dead-set on getting you down.

"Bucky," You called before he shut the jet door; he looked back at you, "Stay Bucky, don't become the Soldier. Get the information, and get back here," You told him, only receiving a nod from him.

---

"How could you leave your friend alone like that?"

They were getting in his mind, freaking him out. He pulled at his hair, hoping to ignore the voices playing over the loudspeakers.

"You don't think we know where you hid the jet? My team is headed there right now, Soldier."

It was obvious the agents were trying to get Bucky to turn into The Winter Soldier and destroy everything. The information, the base, and most importantly, your hope. He tried not to let it get to him but knowing that these agents could hurt you more made him want to kill everyone in this base.

"Do it, Soldier, destroy."

The agent was enticing Bucky, and Bucky almost listened. "You'll be the first one I kill," Bucky murmured as he continued down the hallways that seemed oddly bare. As soon as he got a bad feeling, the man spoke again.

"We have located your jet."

"Leave me alone!" Bucky shouted and began to feel himself lose control over his own body. Going into Winter Soldier mode was a lot like becoming the Hulk; he and Bruce talked about it.  Minus the turning green and growing into a huge monster, they both lost control of their minds and only sought to hurt and destroy. When the agents started mixing in words that "activated" him, it made it even worse and harder to ignore.

"Kill them."

Many agents ran towards Bucky, and Bucky only plowed through them all. The last name he heard was the one he wanted to get to the most, hurt the most. He knew exactly where the jet was and could get to it quickly; he also knew that you were already hurt, making an easy target.

HYDRA wanted to get rid of you for years. You were too crucial to their plan, too powerful. You knew how to sneak around, and you could kill someone by just a grab of the wrist. They needed you eliminated from the playing field.

Bucky ran in the direction of the jet with a hunger to kill in his eyes.

"Barnes is approaching," The jet alerted you.

"Finally," You sighed, ready to get back to the base and have your leg looked at.

The door flew open, and you saw Bucky, but it wasn't Bucky. "Hey, hey, hey, calm down!" You started to shout.

He didn't speak; he just aimed his gun at your head. "There is no calm," He got closer to you.

"Bucky, Bucky, it's me, your best friend," You struggled to talk to him, "They got inside your head. This is not who you are; please listen to me-"

"Shut up!" Bucky cut you off, but for some reason, he couldn't get himself to pull the trigger. Something was holding him back. He knew he wanted to kill you, but there was something in the back of his mind telling him not to lay a finger on you.

"Bucky, this isn't you. This is HYDRA inside your mind trying to get you to do things you don't want to do. Fight through this, Bucky, you can, I know you can. I believe in you!" You told Bucky, never losing faith in him.

Bucky gasped and fell to the floor, his head aching with immense pain. Those four words were the words that would bring the real Bucky back to you; he would be back and good again.

He dropped his gun, and you moved it out of the way, making sure you or Bucky wouldn't be able to touch it. "Buck?" You whispered.

Bucky groaned quietly and grasped at his hair, pulling it to help the pain go away. "Get the voices out!" He screamed.

You rolled over to get closer to Bucky, "Hey, you're all right now, I'm here," You comforted.

Bucky looked up slowly and took a deep breath, "T-thank you."

"I'm always here, Bucky, always believing in my best friend," You reminded him, which happens a lot.

"What would I do without you?"

"Probably die. Speaking of, can we get back to the base, so I don't die?"

"Right, sorry."