Chapter 10

The dark purple liquid burned on its way down my throat, feeling a little like needle pricks as it hit my stomach, but after a few big swigs the taste and pain didn't really bother me anymore.

I kicked off my boots and sat cross legged on the floor watching the competition coverage in the dark lounge. Every time I'd hear voices come from out in the corridor, I'd switch off the TV and squeeze my eyes shut as if that would keep me hidden. Once I was sure I was in the clear, the TV would be back on. 

My head felt fuzzy, and my body was becoming more and more relaxed. After an hour, it didn't even bother me when the news anchors went around asking random people who they were hoping to see win, and not a one said my name. What do I care about the opinions of a bunch of vampires? They're the reason I didn't get to have a normal life. I should have never left my mother's side that day. From what they've told us though, if I hadn't been "lucky" enough to have been brought to Drighten, I would have been slaughtered with the majority of the human race when the vampires came out of their underground world and took control.

Weighing my options, I honestly wish I could have spent the remainder of my life with my sweet momma, however short a life it might have been. I don't know if it's the drinking or if I just have so much pent up anger and grief that it finally blows, but I burst into hot tears. Before I know it I'm full out bawling. My body shakes with sobs and they only get stronger as the TV changes from the annoying people debating whether or not I'm even worth any money at this point, to a small 'exclusive' clip from tonight's date.

Calvin leads Regina, full of giggles, through two beautifully ornate golden doors and the camera moves around them to show a gorgeous green house. Everywhere the camera turns there are beautiful flowers and plants. The ground looks like grass, and the lights they have hanging all across the ceiling are shaped like little suns.

I wanted to turn off the stupid TV, unable to stand watching Regina on my special date, but I couldn't find the freaking remote. I started fumbling around on the ground in the dark looking for it but the dang thing seemed to have just gotten up and walked away. My tear filled swollen eyes weren't helping in the search at all and I only cried louder at the annoyance.

I was so flustered I didn't hear anyone coming.

The lights overhead flashed on, illuminating the room and the barefoot girl on the floor on her hands and knees crying beside an empty bottle.

"What the hell?" The large man dressed in the typical all black guards' uniform yelled. "What are you doing in here?" He asked, taking a step closer to me. "Guards!" He yelled over his shoulder and three more men appeared before me, or maybe there was four, it was hard to tell through my eyes.

The first one covered his mouth with his hands, containing a laugh, while the others stared at me in disbelief. I knew I must look like a complete train wreck so I tried to stand up to explain myself, but my legs wouldn't cooperate and I ended up right back on the cold ground. "What should we do?" The guard who found me first asked his friends.

"I can think of one thing." The man in the back with beady eyes answered, licking his lips while he watched me.

The others all gave him a look and the one who wanted to laugh pulled out a phone and dialed a couple of numbers. "I'm supposed to be watching this one." He finally let a snicker pass his lips. "Prince Calvin asked me to call him if she got herself into any trouble." My tears became angry ones while they continued discussing me as if I wasn't even here.

"What are you doing in her girl?" One of them asked me, but it was too foggy to be sure which one.

"Just...just looking..." I searched my brain for words, but they were hiding and running away and my head was just an empty pool of nonsense. "I was...thirsty?" It came out as a question rather than an answer and I laughed despite my anger.