31.

Chapter 31.

XAVIER's P.O.V

Emily and I had finally made our way back home. The car was full of silence, and I knew it was because of me.

The phone call I had the other night put me in a position of worry. I was scared for myself but importantly I was scared for Emily. I couldn't let anything hurt her.

I don't care what happens to me, just God, please make her safe.

I looked to her out of the corner of my eye, she was everything in a person I wish I could have been. Even after all of her struggles in life, she was still upbeat Emily. Her happiness never ceased to amaze me. She could be happy at all times, upbeat and optimistic, even when she thought she couldn't be.

She was rubbing off me well, and for once in my life I felt a sense of happiness in my cold and twisted heart.

And it was all because of her.

She was beautiful in every sense of the word. An angel who had come down and helped me.

I didn't want anything to demolish what we had. She didn't know it yet, hell I didn't even know it, but I loved her.

I didn't love, I didn't even believe in it a while back, but thinking about being without her twisted my gut and made me sick.

Fuck that.

If someone even as much touches her the wrong way I would kill them. I wouldn't hesitate to murder them in cold blood. I wouldn't ever fucking hesitate.

I was a fighter, not a lover. But now I loved her.

"Are you okay?" I heard her voice. That soft and caring voice. It made me sick when she used it. She cared about me and I loved it, but how could anyone care for me?

The way I treat her sometimes, the way I speak to her. I deserved it if she had left, it would have killed me but I'd have let it happen. I was a coward and a sick bastard at times.

"I'm okay." I let out. I was full of worry and dread and anxiety. I would have usually let that get to me. I would have pushed her away but I couldn't stand to hurt her anymore than I have done with my words. She gives me that look, and fuck, I couldn't see that again.

"Are you sure?" She asked. She was hesitant, I knew she was only trying to care for me.

"I'm sure babe" I let out. I had to get out before I would let out something I regretted. "I got to go." I said, I tried to sound less worried, but I didn't think it was working.

"Oh, okay, will you be back later?" She asked and I nodded her way.

"I'll be back around 6." She smiled and came over to give me a hug. I hugged her back. My beating heart could rest for a few minutes. It could take a break from the constant fear. Emily would always be here, she would always be here.

"I like you, you know that don't you?" I asked, my voice a lot softer now.

"Of course. I like you too." She smiled sweetly, and in that moment I would have done anything to tell her that I loved her. But I had to go.

She'd be here any minute.

I let out a deep breath and continued to pull away.

"See you later." I said before opening the door and shutting it behind me.

I continued to make my way down to my own room. I opened it straight away and went inside.