My Benefactor - Chapter Thirty Five

Cloverism, this is for you. I know how much you love this story so here you go, love. ;-D

My Benefactor

Copyright © 2011 All rights reserved

Chapter Thirty Five

Reagan's Point Of View

As they say, all good things come to an end, even on birthdays. I watched as everybody decided to turn in the night, but my dad just had to be all mushy on me right now.

         "Happy Birthday, sugar bunny," my dad cooed as he wrapped me up in his arms, smothering my face with kisses. "I can't believe my baby girl is all grown-up now!"

        I groaned. "Aww, dad. That's just foul," I said, leaning away as I tried to thwart his lip assault. "I'm not five years old, you know."

        He stopped and chuckled low and deep. "I know, but I missed out eighteen years of your life, so I have plenty of smothering to catch up on."

        I rolled my eyes. 'You can blame mom for that,' I thought dryly. "Seriously, dad," I said, glaring at him mockingly, "you're giving me daddy cooties."

        "Oh yeah?" he asked, raising an eyebrow and I nodded. "Well, daddy cooty this!" And attacked my face once again with another onslaught of kisses.

        Oh good lord, help my face!

        "Okay, okay," I said, squirming under his smothering attacks. "I get the idea so you can stop now."

        Laughing, he obliged and let me go. "I need to go," he said. "But I'll be back tomorrow. Ryder and I got things to take care of."

        I frowned, but nodded anyway. I'll ask him later what they need to take care of. "Okay," I said.

        "I'll drive you guys," Copper offered and averted his gaze to my mom. "You too, Mrs. Marks."

        Mom gave him a smile of gratitude. "Thank you," she said, "that would be wonderful."

        "Alright then, chop chop!" Cooper said, clapping his hands together. "To the Cooper mobile!"

        Rolling my eyes, I said, "I'll walk you guys to the door."

        Marching our way to the front door, Cooper was in the lead so he did the honors in opening the door himself. They all went out one by one, bidding me one last birthday greeting until it was just mom and I.

        Once again, we were back to the awkward yet tense stage. True, we had talked, which lead to my closure because for two years I was left in the dark; but deep within me, the pain is still raw. To forgive and forget will take a long time, as far as my wounded soul could care, but like I said, I'd do it with baby steps.

         As she stood there, her mouth opened and then closed, like a fish out of water. I knew she wanted to say something, but I shook my head slowly to save her the trouble.

        No more, just no more. Words were already said.

        We were done, so it's time to move forward.

        Sighing, she gave me one last longing look and went out. Cooper's BMW was already in the driveway, waiting for her as dad and Ryder were already inside, I assumed. She opened the back seat door, took one last look at me and got inside.

        And then, they were off.

       'Soon, mom,' I thought to myself, closing the front door. 'Soon...'

        "Did you have a nice birthday?"

        Startled, I whirled around, my heart hammering widely out of my rib cage as I faced the person who scared the wits out of me. It was Derek.

        "Jesus," I said, clutching my chest with my hands. "Don't do that. A little warning would be nice."

        He chuckled. "Forgive me," he apologized. "I didn't realize my girlfriend isn't in tune yet with my aura."

        Okay, I may not speak supernatural jargons, but I didn't forget he is not off the hook. Sure, he did the most romantic gesture as a birthday gift and was concerned enough for my closure, but going behind my back is another thing. What he did was an encroachment of personal affairs, yet I can't hold a grudge against him for wanting to set things right in my life.

        But a little game of pissing off a pureblood - an Elder at that - wouldn't hurt, right?

        I glared. "Yes I did, but that's beside the point."

         He frowned.

        "Why did you do it?" I asked him, hostility leaking out of my voice. "Why didn't you tell me that you invited my mother?"

        All traces of mirth vanished from Derek's face in an instant and were replaced by seriousness. "As much as you hate to admit it," he began, "you needed it. All I wanted was to help you."

        "By going behind my back?" I asked in disbelief. "You call that helping?"

        Overreacting or not, I wasn't pleased with what he did as he put me on the spot with my mother. I was grateful, yes I am, believe it or not. I don't want to sound like a bitch, but when it comes to things that are sensitive, that is a different story.