Chapter V

"Bella, if Dad sees you with those, he will ship you off to Florida," I warned. I really didn't care what she was doing with them. She barely had enough coordination to walk. Now she wanted to try a motorized bike. She was liable to kill herself with that thing.

"Ryanne, you can't tell him," she begged. I didn't care what she was doing and I sure as hell wasn't a snitch.

"Do what you want, Bella. I'm not telling Dad. All I'm saying is if he catches you, he will kill you and send your body to Mom's," I shrugged. She looked relieved for a brief moment before she checked the driveway and street for any sign of Dad. "You know they're broken, right?" I said, looking at the motorcycles.

"How can you tell that?" she asked.

I had learned quickly that Bella wasn't the biggest fan of my "masculine" pursuits, as she put it. She thought I was stupid for taking up MMA, told me I would be prettier if I wore a little mascara and lip gloss, knocked my taste in clothing, gave me shit about my hair; the list is endless. So when it came to this, my mechanical talents that Jake had spent patient years honing, I figured it was best to avoid the subject. "The kickstands are broken," I said, pointing to the wimpy scrap of metal that should've help the bikes upright. "There's probably a lot more than that," I said.

She looked a little put down for a few moments. "Do you know anyone who can fix them?" she asked. I wanted to wave my hand in front of her face. But there were several problems with that. I didn't want her to know that I knew about this stuff. I didn't have all the right equipment to fix them. And finally: if Dad found out that I helped my sister fix her own personal death trap, I would definitely be indefinitely grounded.

"I mean, Jake fixed your truck. He's really good with this stuff. Your only problem would be that Billy would find out. Billy would go straight to Dad," I said. "But Jake's good with this kind of stuff."

What was I doing? A normal sister would tell Bella that she was going to kill herself and to put those bikes back in the junkyard that she had found them in. But then again, Bella had told me once that I was the worst sister in the world. I think she believed it too. I could kind of see it in her eyes. It had nothing to do with the fact that I didn't know her that well or the fact that we had spent most of our lives separate. No, she thinks I'm a terrible sister because I hated her douche-bag of a boyfriend and I wouldn't let her get raped. I am terrible.

"Can we head down there?" she asked. What's this we shit? I have my own life. I could just call Jake and ask for a ride down to the Rez... Or I could get a lift from Bella who'll probably head down there anyways. I nodded and got in her car with her.

Thank God she didn't try to talk to me the whole ten minute drive. I knew that, as her sister, it was my job to love her. And I guess I did. I mean, I literally dropped everything when she went zombie on us. I would do it again, too, without hesitation. But the truth was, if Bella and I weren't blood related and living together, she wasn't someone that I would actively seek out a relationship with.

The Black house come into view and I fought the urge to bail out of the car right then and their. Billy was sitting on the porch, looking out over the land. "Don't park where Billy can see," I warned. Bella nodded, moving the car behind the shed. I slammed my door and walked towards the house. "Hey Chief," I called. Billy grinned at me. "Your son feed you?" I asked. Billy lifted his coffee in response. "That's what I thought."

Bella followed behind me apprehensively. As she should. This was my place. I was pissed enough that I had to deal with her at home. "Bella," Billy greeted. "Good to see you." She just nodded. Honestly, I'm beginning to wonder if Mom forgot to teach her to rule about listening and respecting your elders. "Jake's in the house, Ryanne," he added.