chapter 7

It had been a few weeks since Dan and Phil had first met. When Dan came home with Chris and Louise that night, his parents were disappointed that they hadn't brought Phil back with them. Dan then had to explain that they wanted to ease into the relationship. He was grateful that they respected that and didn't pressure him further about it.

Today was when Phil was finally going to meet Dan's parents, and he couldn't have been more nervous. He grabbed a suit from his closet before riffling through his bow tie collection.

"Whoa, Phil! They said it would be casual! We're meeting at the coffee shop we met at, for God's sake!" Dan laughed, gently taking the suit from his boyfriend's hand and placing it back in the closet.

"I don't want to come under-dressed. I want to make a good first impression on them." Phil sighed, sitting down on his bed.

"I wouldn't mind if you went undressed," Dan smirked, watching a faint red blush paint Phil's cheeks.

"Dan!"

"Alright, alright. How about that button up? That pale blue one you wore when we first met." Dan suggested.

"Good idea," Phil smiled, eagerly grabbing the shirt and putting it down next to the pants he had decided on. Dan had earlier described them as 'the lovechild of black skinny jeans and slacks'. "I don't think I have any bow ties that match with this..." the raven-haired boy frowned, glancing at his beloved collection.

"Phil, babe, this is supposed to be casual. No bow ties." Dan reminded.

Phil pouted, making puppy eyes at the other boy.

"Yeah, fine, whatever." Dan turned away, giving in. He could never resist those eyes.

Phil grinned, leaning over to peck a kiss on the brunet's check before he picked out a silky lavender one.

****

Phil had previously pleaded to the staff to be courteous while he met Dan's parents, so everything seemed to be going smoothly. 

"It's so nice to finally meet you, Phil! Dan has told us so much about you!" Dan's mom smiled warmly, hugging the tall boy. 

"Hopefully all good things," Phil smiled back at her before he turned to Dan's father to give him a handshake.

"A nice firm handshake, I like that in a young man." Dan's father nodded approvingly. He glanced at his son before looking back at Phil. "Dan never had much of a handshake, it was more like a soggy noodle," he whispered. Phil laughed politely before gesturing to a table.

"Shall we sit?" he suggested.

The four of them took a seat. Lauren, who was acting as a waitress, took their orders before scurrying away. Normally, they'd call your name for the order, but since the group of four was their only customers and they wanted to help Phil, they delivered the drinks to them. Not to mention that Phil promised to tip generously. 

"I like your bow tie, Phil. Did you know, purple is my favorite color?" Dan's mother commented.

"Thank you, Mrs. Howell. And no, I didn't. This is actually my favorite bow tie." Phil replied before shooting Dan a smug look. "See, wearing a bow tie was a good idea!"

"You wear a bow tie whenever you can, Phil." Dan laughed. He turned to his parents, "When I was younger, I never imagined that my soulmate would have a bow tie collection, but look at me now." 

"I personally prefer regular ties, but I can respect a man who can pull off a bow tie. Especially a lavender one!" Dan's father chuckled.

As they sipped their drinks in the empty coffee shop, Phil felt himself relax a bit more. After talking for almost an hour, Dan and Phil said goodbye to Dan's parents and returned back to Phil's dorm. 

"Do you think they like me?" Phil asked nervously.

"Of course, Phil. Who wouldn't?" Dan smiled, curling up beside his boyfriend.

*****

author's note // okay I'm not even sure how I ended this????? the next update might be soon or be a while, idk. also, I didn't really check over my grammar and whatever in this, so it might be really bad oops