forty

Sophia's POV

"Dad, I have to ask you something," I say, sitting on the couch next to him. He pauses the TV and I take a deep breath, his eyes watching me closely.

"Can I go to a party on Friday?" I rush, his protection over me and my sisters to a point of barely letting us out of the house.

"Who's going to be there? Are their going to be parents there?" he asks, my head nodding.

"It's at Abby's. Her mom is supervising and she's inviting her close friends and a few people from school. Nothing bad is going to happen. I mean, we're eighteen, but we know better," I say, his lips releasing a sigh.

"I don't know Soph. I just...I don't want you to drink or do any drugs," he says strongly, my head nodding.

"I don't like alcohol and the smell of weed is gross," I say, shivering at the remembrance of the smell and the taste.

"That's my girl," he grins, making me laugh.

"I guess you can go. Curfew...I'll think about it," he says, my head nodding.

I go upstairs and close my door, dialing the one number I want.

"Hello," the deep voice whispers, my lips curving.

"I can go," I whisper, the cheer on the other end of the phone making me smile.

"Thank God, baby, we can finally be out together," he says, my lips curving.

I've been secretly dating Jacob for about eight months now. We've been at the same school for high school and now as seniors, we've finally started a relationship. But my friends think we're goals because I'm the captain of the cheerleading team and he's the quarterback of the football team. It's that cliché relationship, but we're not by any means mean like in those movies.

"I can't wait. I'll see you tomorrow," I say, his words wishing me a goodnight. I hang up and I open the bedroom door, my mom standing with her arms crossed.

"Who was that?" she asks, my lips pressing together as I look down.

"No one," I say, her eyebrow lifting in suspicion.

"Because it sounded like you were making a phone call you didn't want anyone to hear."

My mom's intimidation level is so high that is scares me she'll ground me until I'm thirty. She is praised by my father for how well she's raised us, but really his military side is quite scary too.

"I was, uh, talking to my friend," I say, her hum signaling my worst fear.

"Yeah. What's his name?" she asks, my lips releasing a sigh.

"You know I can tell when you're lying. You're talking to a boy," she says, then I hear footsteps and I deflate.

"A boy?" dad says, staring at me.

"Okay, fine. I'm talking to a boy. So what?" I say, the two of them so in sync when they cross their arms across their chest as they look at me.

"It's about time," my mom says, right as my dad says, "Absolutely not."

They look at each other and I smile, covering my mouth to hide a laugh.

"Let her date, Harry. She's eighteen," mom argues.

"Are you out of your mind? No, she's too young," he says, my eyes watching as Maura walks out of her room.

"B-Boyfriend?" she asks happily, her arms wrapping around me.

"No, Maura. She does not have a boyfriend," dad says, Maura shaking her head.

"She sh-should have a boy-boyfriend," Maura says, making me laugh.