Chapter XII

This chapter may contain situations and content not suitable for all ages, read at your own risk.
TW: Sexual assault
___________________________________

If my sister's nightmares didn't stop soon, I was going to die from exhaustion. I didn't even think it was possible, but as I stumbled down the stairs three days after my midnight visit from Jake, I was beginning to see how it could happen. I was so tired, I was getting careless. Friday morning, I poured half a pot of my coffee on my hand, having missed my cup, and didn't think anything of it. I'm not sure if I actually felt the burn or if the steam rising clued me in. And if it wasn't the little accidents that killed me, I was just going to kill myself because I couldn't handle this anymore. I wasn't sleeping anymore, at least not more than a wink here or there. If I didn't have a cup of coffee in my hand, I had a Rockstar. I was doing anything and everything to stay awake. And I was failing.

I pulled up to the school, sleep still encasing my eyes and laid my head against the steering wheel. I was going to get in a wreck if I wasn't careful. I leaned back to reach my bag, but was interrupted by my dad's ringtone on my phone.

"Hello?" I said. I was so groggy, I doubt he understood what I was saying.

"Ryanne, are you at school?" he asked. I nodded. "Ryanne?" Right, he can't see when I nod.

"Yeah, Dad; I was just about to go to class," I replied.

"Rye, if you need a day off," he began. I did not need a day off. I was perfectly fine. "I won't mind you taking a day to catch up on your sleep, Ryanne."

"I'm fine Dad. I'll catch up over the summer," I replied. Hopefully he would send Bella to Mom's for a visit and I could have three weeks of uninterrupted sleep. "I have to get to class before I'm late; I'll talk to you later."

Dad said goodbye, but I couldn't tell you exactly what he'd said. I reached behind me and grabbed my bag but before I even recognized what I was doing, I had the satchel laid down and was using it as a pillow. I yawned loudly and curled my knees up towards my chest. Quil would be the only one who would miss me and I could text him later. With that thought, I allowed sleep to cloud my vision and drifted away.

•••

There was a loud banging that finally brought me out of my dreams. God, I wished they were real. In my dreams, Jake and I were allowed to be friends. In my dreams, Bella, if she was even in them, was a normal sister with a normal boyfriend. In my dreams, my life was not nearly as complicated and sleep deprived as it really was. "Ryanne Lee Swan, open the God damn door." I sat up, startled. Jake hadn't spoken to me in three days; since the night he'd snuck into my room. I reached over and unlocked the driver's door. As soon as it clicked, Jake yanked it open. He glared at me like I had personally wronged him.

"What are you doing?" he asked.

"What are you doing?" I retorted, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Ryanne, don't mess with me right now. Why weren't you in class?" he growled.

"I am tired, Jake," I said simply. "I had been planning on going to class and then I fell asleep. It happens when you sit up all night making sure you sister doesn't wake your dad while pondering the mysterious words of your former best friend." He flinched when I said former. It would be better for the both of us if we just acknowledged it. I sat up, turning around and leaning over the seat until I finally reached the cooler. I pulled out a Rockstar, popping the lid and letting the probably poisonous liquid pour down my throat. "It's brunch, right?" Jake shook his head.

"It's the end of fifth," he replied. Nice, I'd slept through an entire day of school. So much for not skipping. "You know those things will kill you, right?" he asked, pointing at the black can in my hand. Better it than him... or Bella. I just shrugged, sure he didn't want to hear what was running through my head.