Forty-Seven: Shifting Moment

Sydney

Air whistled past the side of my face as I barely move out of its path.

There was a growl from the sidelines.

"Calm down pup, I wasn't really going to hit her," Elliot said annoyed by Jay's continuous warning growls.

We were outside behind Jay's home surrounded by the arching of the forest. Elliot was teaching me how to fight and use my abilities. After Jay had gotten that alarming call from his friend, Jaycen wanted to teach me how to defend myself in case I ever found myself alone-which he said would likely never happen.

There were unspoken words there but we both agreed it wouldn't hurt for me to know how to fight for myself.

Originally we tried having him teach me but every time it ended with us kissing and touching. In short completely not effective for building my defensive skills, but I had found some more things I liked to tease Jay with.

I took Elliot's words from the past about him teaching me white wolf things because he too was a white wolf. When I told Jay that Elliot would be my best chance he wouldn't even take into consideration Elliot training me. Apparently, there was something in my eyes that gave away that I was going to ask for Elliot's help either way and Jay quickly came around saying he'd rather me do it with him there with me instead of me being alone with Elliot.

After that Jay very reluctantly allowed me to train with Elliot.

So that's how we're here; Elliot throwing punches at me seeing how many I could avoid or deflect.

After about two more minutes of punching Elliot finally stopped.

"Well, your reflexes are good. I can give you that." He commented breathlessly.

"Can we take a break?" I asked out also out of breath. I never was very good at doing anything fast-paced, I was much more of a long-distance athlete, in the rare occasion of hiking and jogging with my dad before he passed.

"Yes, just for a few minutes," he said, "Grab a drink of water then we're getting back to training. I don't want you getting used to taking breaks because in battle you can't take a break." Elliot's voice had a bitter undertone.

I assumed memories of his deceased mate, plagued with his mixed feelings over his brother was where that bitterness stemmed from.

His glance also over to Jay, hinted he wasn't over Jay beating the crap out of him and I don't blame him.

Quietly thanking him I went to Jay who pushed himself off from where he sat on the porch.

"You doing okay?" Jay asked brushing hair that had escaped my ponytail, out of my face, and behind my ear.

I nodded closing my eyes and leaning into his warm hand. "Yeah, I'm alright, just feeling a little out of shape."

"Just tell me if you are being pushed too hard alright. I don't want to put you in harm's way by trying to protect you from harm." Jay pulled me into a hug rubbing my back.

"I'm fine Jay, trust me."

"If you say so Star...Let's go get you some water."

Going inside we went to the kitchen and Jay grabbed a bottle of water for me. I hopped up on the counter and watch Jay open the bottle and hand it to me.

"Thank you," I said taking the water from him and taking a sip from it.

The cool liquid rushed down my burning throat.

After I finished taking a drink of water Jay placed himself between my legs and rested his head on my shoulder.

"So, what are you and Alpha Robin going do about Logan kidnapping his pack mates?" I asked.