Chapter 1 - Galaxy Barn

Taking a final look at the store, I accept that we have everything that we will need in the next days. I turn off the lights and close the door.

"Are you done overthinking?" Taylor asks.

I smile at him. He knows me too well.

"I just want to be prepared. This feels like a giant milestone to me," I say as I wheel Taylor to the passenger seat.

"It is a significant milestone. I hope that you get your investment back," Taylor says, hopping into my van.

I fold Taylor's wheelchair and place it on the tiny place left at the back of the full van. I then get in the driver's seat and start driving towards my newest adventure.

I used to manage the IT solutions department of a fashion magazine. I liked my job, but I always dreamed of leading my own project. My grandmother passed away four years ago, and while everybody in the family got a piece of her fortune, she left me her cottage and the adjacent barn.

My family found it curious and a bit funny. I was still living at home; I have never used a hammer in my life, and now I was the owner of a rundown property. My grandmother also left me an envelope. Inside, there was a picture of us when I was a child. It was Halloween, and I begged Grandma to make me a Princess Leia costume. She made it to perfection and even helped me to braid my long hair and make it into two buns. Behind the photograph, she wrote the words: Make your dreams come true.

I knew immediately what she meant and started planning my move the next day. Then for the next two years, I worked on the cottage and the barn to make it the perfect place for my business venture. Now I'm the proud owner of Galaxy Barn, a vintage toy shop, and live right next to it. I left my job to the dismay of everybody and dedicated myself to my store. I'm doing well. There is a market that thrives on childhood nostalgia. Also, my system and data skills have come in handy. I have set up a tracking system for hard-to-find articles and even get requests to find toys in exchange for a juicy commission.

"I packed a bit of everything, and the shop is not even empty," I say. "I have been to the convention myself, but I don't know what people will be looking for. If I follow the trends and the analytics of the web shop, then it should be toys from the 70s and 80s,"

"I'm looking forward to it. Just let me know what I need to do," Taylor says.

"I find myself answering lots of questions about the toys per se. You know as much as I do about them, so it shouldn't be a problem,"

I'm so glad that Taylor is coming with me. I feel nervous, and he gives me comfort. We have been friends since college. He is the only one that enjoys my activities and hobbies. Also the only one willing to help me. We listen to game soundtracks while making the two-hour ride to the convention center.

"Here we are," I say and feel excited at the sight of the giant banners at the entrance.

We head to the back of the conference center. The place is very busy, and we manage to find a spot to park the van. Unfortunately, there are no handicap parking places in this area.

"I'm afraid you will have to roll a few miles to get everything out," I say as I bring his chair around.

"No problem. I can put some boxes on my lap,"

I get a cart and start piling the first boxes on it. I hang a bag of supplies from Taylor's chair. He holds some smaller boxes and wheels himself with one hand. I think that we will have to make three more trips to get everything.

I check the documents that I got and follow the instructions to our exhibition space. As we arrive, I already see something wrong. I leave the cart and pull the table forward.

"What do you think you are doing?" says a voice behind me.

I turn around and see a man dressed in black, looking at me with a frown. A laminated pass hangs from his neck, and he has a clipboard in his hands.

"I'm moving a table. What does it look like?" I say, irritated.

"You can't do that," he says pushing the table back.

"Why don't you call your boss and we can arrange this?"

"I'm the boss!"

"Well, then you should know better than anybody that I paid for a custom size booth. My business partner needs to move around the space freely,"

Taylor looks nervous. I know that he hates to be singled out because he is in a wheelchair, but this is unfair to him and to my wallet.

"This is what you requested," the man says.

I get my order out and grab a measuring tape from the bag hanging from Taylor's chair.

"Nina, I can be in the front. Don't worry," Taylor says in a low voice.

"I'm not letting them take advantage of us,"

I measure the space between the back display and the table.

"One foot too small," I say, showing the measure to the event manager.

The manager let a deep sigh out.

"I hired idiots. Let me help you with that table,"

We move the table, and Taylor rides around it to make sure that he is comfortable enough.

"My apologies for the confusion," the guy says and smiles at me. "I'm Evan,"

He is quite good looking when he doesn't have the bossy face.

"Nice to meet you, Evan. Thanks for understanding,"

"Have a good conference and don't hesitate to contact me if you need help,"

"Well... now that you mention it..."

I explain the lack of a handicap parking spot in the suppliers' area. He immediately gets his walkie-talkie and soon, I have two guys with carts willing to give us a hand. I save a good half hour in unloading the van. When I come back, I find Taylor filling the lower displays with some action figures.

"Evan left something for you," he says, handing me a folded paper.

I open the paper and read it.

I've arranged a parking place for you for the next two days. I hope that you can take a break in your busy schedule to have some coffee with me. Evan.

"Is everything alright?" Taylor asks.

"Yeah, everything is fine," I say while crushing the paper and putting it in my back pocket. "Let's finish this and head to the hotel. The next two days will be crazy,"

Taylor looks at me with suspicion but continues working. I don't have time in my life for coffee or dates.