Emmett & the M&M McFlurry

(Freshman Year of college)

"Come on man, we could really use a goal about now," Dan informed me, casting me an annoyed glare. His hands were on his knees as he tried to catch his breath from the last play.

"Pass me the fucking ball and maybe I could do my job," I snapped back, causing him to roll his eyes in annoyance.

We were tied 1-1, no thanks to Dan. And there were a solid three minutes left to play.

I ran my fingers through my sweaty, matted hair, shifting my weight at the midline as I waited for an opportunity to arise.

"Where's Parker today?" Dan questioned.

Therapy with Lee.

"Good question," I answered, with a shrug.

"Aren't you gay for him or something?"

At that very moment the ball came from the left midfielder, landing at my feet.

I could've done what my team was counting on me to do, take the ball and score the winning goal.

Instead, I slammed the ball directly at Dan's nut sack, causing him to immediately drop to his knees in agonizing pain.

"Sorry!" I called out over the referee's whistle. "Guess I overestimated your potential to, you know, catch and trap a ball."

"What the hell was that?" Liam asked me, as we exited the field.

"A pass?"

He rolled his eyes, giving me a hard shove to the shoulder. "You cost us the game."

"I'm gonna go ahead and pin that on Dan."

I took a seat on the bench, peeling off my socks and shin guards and shoving my feet into a pair of slides. I bid my fellow teammates adieu before leaving the pick-up game fields, heading back towards Parker's frat.

But not before I was stopped by a man in a suit, not a common occurrence out here.

"Emmett Winston, correct?"

"Depends on who wants to know."

He chuckled, extending his hand. "Marion Waters, scout for the men's soccer program at the University of Miami."

Oh.

"Uh, yeah. I'm Emmett Winston."

I reached out and shook his hand.

"We're very interested in recruiting you Emmett. I'd like to grab lunch with you one day this week, whenever you're free, and go over the fine print."

I cleared my throat, nodding.

Of course I'm very interested in playing. In fact there's nothing I want more.

But I can't have it.

My asthma controlled my life at this point, ruled exactly when I could play soccer and for how long. And Division One soccer was no longer an option for me, a deal I'd made with Parker before the semester had begun.