17: remembralls

Percy woke up to Harry shaking him violently. "Oi, Percy!" Percy just grumbled and pulled the blankets back over his head. Harry rolled his eyes and continued getting ready. "I swear, you would risk being late even at wizard school, honestly."

Percy bolted upright, suddenly remembering exactly where he was. "What time is it?"

Harry laughed at his brother's antics and answered, "Eight. Classes start in an hour."

Grumbling about how on earth did Harry know this, we just got here, Percy flailed until his bedsheets released him and made his way to the bathroom to shower. Judging by their absences in the dorm, Ron, Neville, Dean, and Seamus were already down in the Great Hall eating breakfast. A half-hour later, Percy was finally dressed and had his bag slung over his shoulder with all of his books.

"Finally," Harry grumbled.

"Oi, you shut up."

"No."

"Yes."

"No." Continuing their useless banter, the two black-haired boys made their way to breakfast.

****

As soon as they had actually started eating, still arguing about something pointless, the woman who wore the emerald green robes started passing around schedules. It wasn't long before she got to them. She introduced herself as Professor McGonagall. "Jackson, Potter, these are yours." She handed them their schedules and went off to give someone else theirs.

Hermione, having been sitting across the table with Ron, leaned over to compare her schedule with theirs. "Did we all get the same classes?"

"Well, I would assume so because we're all Gryffindor first years aren't we?" Percy said.

With his mouth full, Ron said, "I just don't want to get a ton of homework on the first day."

Harry rolled his eyes. "Of course, that's all you worry about, Ron."

A couple of places over, Neville was talking to Dean and Seamus about something his grandmother had sent him. "Yeah, it's a remembrall. I'm always forgetting things, so my gran said that it should help. It turns red when you've forgotten something-" The light smoke inside of the clear glass ball had suddenly turned a deep red. Neville furrowed his brow. "Only problem, I can't remember what I've forgotten." They all talked some more and ten minutes until nine forty-five, the four Gryffindors made their way to their first class, Charms.

****

Charms was fairly uneventful. Their professor, an uncommonly short man called Flitwick, didn't assign them any homework. The whole period was basically spent introducing the subject of Charms to all of the clueless first years. Hermione had earned at least fifteen points for Gryffindor answering random trivia questions.

They found History of Magic fairly easily. It was much the same as Charms, but a lot more boring. The most exciting thing that happened all period was their professor, Professor Binns, gliding into the classroom through the blackboard; he was a ghost. Percy overheard Ron telling Harry the teacher still thought he was alive - he had just dropped dead in the staff room one day, woke up as a ghost, and had been teaching ever since.

In Percy's opinion, lunch was the most exciting thing to happen all day. Who wouldn't be happy about there being food? Hermione had left early, going to the library - Ron scoffed at that. "We haven't even gotten any homework! What would she need to go to the library for?" - after eating. Once they had all eaten enough, they got up to go to Transfiguration.