The Corridor

Cora

The sound of my door creaking open pulled me out of my light slumber

The sound of my door creaking open pulled me out of my light slumber. It had been days since Titus had dragged me out of my cell nearly dead and in need of care. He'd put me in a small room with round-the-clock nurses who aided in keeping me from dying. I assumed Titus had taken pity on me, or maybe he didn't want me dead just yet. Regardless, he made daily visits to my room to check up on me.

Titus' reasoning was because he wanted to make sure that I was healing properly, and yet every time he sat down, he began to interrogate me. He didn't care about my well being; the Titus I loved had an agenda that had nothing to do with loving me back.

I turned my head in the direction of my door as he strolled in, softly closing it behind him. Titus walked toward the chair next to my bed and took a poised seat. I instantly noticed how his mannerisms had advanced to mimic that of a king. Even his clothing was made of the finest fabrics. He sat tall in his seat with his chin held high, a sight that made me frown in anger. I didn't know this man, and yet, underneath the facade, I knew him well.

"How are you feeling?" he began, his voice low and distant. "You definitely do not look as pale as you once had. You're gaining your weight back as well. I'd say you'll be back to normal in a couple of days." His hand then brushed over the leather covering my ankles. "Are the restraints too tight?"

I looked down at my legs and arms strapped to the bed by leather belts. They weren't uncomfortable and yet they were my biggest irritation. I hated being confined to a bed - a prisoner in an ice castle.

"I'll be better once you stop treating me like a royal traitor."

"Aren't you?" he asked.

"If I'm a traitor due to the fact that I instinctively saved my closest friend from being hurt, then call me the biggest traitor in the kingdom."

"You chose her over me."

"She was innocent!" I yelled. "She was just trying to protect the ones she loved. Isn't that what all of us are doing? Is there even a good side or a bad side? Because it appears to me that neither side is wrong in their argument."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean I understand why you are doing what you're doing. I also understand why the Prince would want to take his throne back. I don't think either reason is evil, and because of that, I can't choose sides. Instead, I choose to do what I feel is right. That is why I jumped in front of Anya. I wasn't going to let you hurt her.

"And at the same time, I wasn't going to let them hurt you. Titus, I loved you. I would've jumped in front of a flame of fire for you as well."