Chapter XXI: Jacob's Point of View

"Jacob," Dad called softly, "I think you might be needed outside."

"Bella, get back," I heard Sam shout. Bella? I rushed out to the front porch as someone cried. Bella was lying atop another person.

"Bella?" I shouted. She shoved off the other person and started running towards me. Strawberries drifted through the air, but they were quickly masked by the smell of...mangos?

"Ryanne?" I said, looking at the ground. Sure enough, there she was, inches away from Paul's silver wolf. He snarled at her, but she didn't move.

"Annie!" I screamed so loudly I'm sure people over at the Makah Rez could hear me.

"Jake, run!" Bella said as she bolted for me. I jumped the railing of the porch and phased over Bella's head. Paul lunged at her ankle and Annie pushed herself back, using her bad hand as leverage. I crouched over her, caging her underneath my body where nothing could hurt her.

Back down, Paul; you don't want to hurt her, I warned. The beauty in question had curled herself up into a tight ball, her knees almost touching her chin as she quivered with fear.

She doesn't mean anything, right Jake? She's just a friend? he taunted. Below me, I could hear Annie's heart racing.

"Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas," she whispered.

So should I take the leech lover? I growled. How about Ryanne then? I roared at that. Annie squeaked and cut off, her cast covering her face.

You want to fight with someone Paul? Fine; whatever. But leave Ryanne out of this. I could feel her little form underneath me, her breath whispering against my skin.

Why? She's no better than that leech lover? She's been letting some stupid bloodsucker in her house too. Why was he being so stubborn today?

Both of our attention snapped to Jared as he stepped forward, hands held up in surrender.

"Jake, you don't want to hurt Ryanne," he said, enunciating every word. No, I didn't. And that was precisely why no one was going to touch her. "Let us take her to Emily's okay?" No, not okay.

Through Paul's mind, I could see his attention was back on her. She's just so scared; can't you smell it? I growled at him.

"Embry's already taking Bella," Jared continued.

Who cares about her?

I do, Paul; leave Bella alone!

"Let us take Ryanne; you don't want her to get hurt."

Yeah, Jake; you don't want little Ryanne to get hurt. Just think of the damage I could do, he grinned. I snarled. What, did you think she'd be okay after all this? Seriously dude; she's going to be afraid of you.

No she won't. Paul just laughed.

She's going to be so scared, she'll leave your ass in La Push and head back to Forks. She'll probably find her own parasite to fuck.

Well you'd be the expert on that, wouldn't you Paul?

Somewhere in the background, I could hear Sam telling us to knock our shit off, but I didn't really care. She was the only thing that was important. Still, Paul lunged towards me, rolling me off Annie and swiping a paw at her.

"Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas," she screamed. I yanked Paul away from her.

You didn't need to do that, jackass. She hasn't done anything to you.

I crouched in front of Annie, listening to her heart hammering in her chest. Paul leapt again, but I was quicker, sinking my teeth into his deltoids and hauling him away from her. That's enough you two! Sam shouted.