Chapter 14: If Not You, Then Nobody Else

Impossible. That would have been the first thought crossing his mind, it should be the first thought but all River could think was throttling Lynn. The urge was prickling at his insides now that he could finally put a face to the nameless person whom was one of the reasons his girlfriend had suffered for so long.

It flashed in his mind like flipping through an album and with every picture on display and every turn of the page, River could hear every detail of Serena's painful childhood, her devastating sobs and cries of help, he could see the river of tears she had shed, leading him to wonder exactly just how much more tears had she shed throughout all those years and it killed him. The damage and its effects on Serena had anger gnawing his insides. His body stiffened and River could feel the blood rushing in his veins as his muscles warmed up from the fury that was building up, readying River for the motion of pulling back his arm and swinging at the person in front of him. He thirsted for blood and were it not for the hand on his shoulder, River would have had the pleasure of watching Lynn crumble in pain.

The anger emanating within him was like an adrenaline that only continued to fuel his blood-thirst. Never had River felt the need to hurt something— or someone like he wanted this very moment. He was too lost in the heat to have noticed that Serena was no longer by his side. It wasn't until his parents whom had witnessed the unravelling scene, came over and intervened that River snapped back to the reality just in time to see a stunning embody of navy blue running away.

River turned to see the hand of his father on his shoulder and he shot George a look of fortitude before bolting in the direction Serena took off. River made a break through the busy body, all manners forgotten as he bumped against people in his way with Serena consuming his every thought, every breath, every heartbeat that thumped in fear of losing her.

"Serena," River called out as he exited the house and skipped down the stairs, leaping 5 steps at a time until he hit flat ground. As soon as he saw Serena straight ahead, River forged forward in full force like the firing shot marking the start of a race.

Serena didn't make it far as she tried her best to run in her pointed heels. It was hard enough to walk in them but running in heels proved to be almost impossible. Her legs were shaking, her head was pounding and her vision blurred. Nothing made sense anymore.

"Wait!," River yelled, a hint of desperation leaking through.

River caught up to Serena, reaching out to grab her elbow, bringing her to a halt. River tugged on her arm and brought her face to face. The tears hot on its tail down Serena's cheeks and her bloodshot eyes reflecting pain in its barest form almost made River turn back to follow through his earlier urge but the need for Serena was stronger.

Serena yanked her arm away, not wanting to deal with anything. Her mind was a jumbled mess and she was on the verge of collapsing down, the desire for the ground to open up and swallow her piling at the very top of everything at the moment.

"Serena," River grabbed her hand again to prevent her from escaping. Serena struggled to get away, head turned to the side, away from his glance but River only tightened his hold and hauled her closer. Serena pushed and shoved but the harder she pulled, the tighter River held on.

"I-  I can't believe it," Serena gasped, her chest heaving from the need to consume air. "You used to date my sister."

"I know it's hard to take in," River started to explain, frowning down at Serena, not liking that she wouldn't meet his eyes. "Even I was surprised but—"

"Hard!" Serena scoffed painfully, shooting beams of glare at his chest. "No. It's not hard. It's torturous. Exhausting. It's eating me alive knowing that I will forever be in her shadows, walking in her footsteps."