Chapter Nine

Attached is the dress that inspired my description of Rose's festival gown, but by all means let your imagination run wild and invent your own dress in your mind! :) 

The next morning Rose walked to the kitchen to begin her work again. Mistress Eudora had agreed to let Rose only do light labor. Rose entered the kitchen door and paused when she realised the Princess Suzanna was standing there.

Mistress Eudora wore a disappointed expression on her face whilst Suzanna seemed peaceful. They turned as Rose entered the room.

"My lady," Rose curtseyed to the Princess and moved to the side of the room, expecting the two to finish their conversation. Mistress Eudora and the Princess exchanged a glance.

"Rose," Mistress Eudora called, beckoning Rose with her finger. Rose, confused, walked over to them, expecting bad news.

"How are you faring, Rose? I was sorry to hear about your injuries. How unfortunate that you were so unwell, I am glad to see you back at the castle," Princess Suzanna said kindly.

"I am well, my lady, I thank you."

"Rose, the Princess is in a predicament and wishes for you to help," Mistress Eudora explained, still not looking overly happy. Rose felt anxious as she looked at her Mistress's expression.

"Of course, Your Majesty, what can I do?" Rose asked the Princess.

"You see, my dear maidservant, Brigitte, fell pregnant and wished to marry her love. I gave her my permission to leave, I could never deny someone from being with their true love," Suzanna explained, pausing. Rose raised her eyebrows.

"That was very kind of you, my lady." A Lady's maidservant was not permitted to marry as their focus was on the satisfaction of their mistress. It was rare that a Lady would give permission for her servant to marry. Not for the first time, Rose was awed at the kindness and compassion Suzanna showed towards the servants. She was not at all arrogant like many Nobles were.

"I thank you. But now I find myself without my personal maidservant – this is my predicament, you understand. I was very fond of Brigitte and finding another lady-in-waiting who I would like as much as her seemed an impossible task. As I was wondering who I could ever consider to take her position, I realised I knew the perfect replacement," Suzanna chattered. A shocked sensation settled over Rose, she had a feeling she knew where this conversation was leading. Again she looked over at Mistress Eudora. Mistress Eudora nodded at her with encouragement, but Rose could tell she had sad eyes.

"May I ask who this replacement is, Your Highness?" Rose asked with wide eyes.

"You, of course! I should like for you to become my new lady-in-waiting, if you accept," Suzanna was smiling as she spoke. Rose did not believe her eyes could grow any wider. Now she understood why Mistress Eudora was sad. Rose would be under Suzanna's command, no longer under Mistress Eudora. They would not see each other as much. Rose had grown dearly fond of her Mistress, she was saddened at the thought of leaving her.

The Princess had made it sound like it was an offer, but Rose felt she did not have much choice or say in the matter. She had to obey the Princess. It will not be so bad, in fact I shall probably enjoy myself. Rose imagined what it would be like to be the maidservant of the Princess. She would no longer be a mere kitchenhand but an upper servant. Suzanna was kind and she knew they would be friends within a short amount of time. Rose would still be able to see Mistress Eudora and her fellow servants occasionally, and she was sure the Princess would be a kind mistress. It was a huge privilege to be asked to serve the Princess, one that she was sure many of the maids would have fought over if they could. Rose glanced over at Mistress Eudora again. Her Mistress gave one, definite nod.